The Greenwood encyclopedia of children's issues worldwide
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2008.
- Physical description
- 6 v. : ill., maps ; 26 cm.
HQ767.84 .G74 2008 V.1
HQ767.84 .G74 2008 V.2
HQ767.84 .G74 2008 V.3
HQ767.84 .G74 2008 V.4
HQ767.84 .G74 2008 V.5
HQ767.84 .G74 2008 V.6
- In-library use HQ767.84 .G74 2008 V.1
- Library has: v.1-
- Library has: v.1-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- [V. 1]. Asia and Oceania / volume editor, Jyotsna Pattnaik
- [V. 2]. Central and South America / volume editor, Eleonora Villegas-Reimers
- [V. 3]. Europe / volume editor, Leslie J. Limage
- [V. 4]. North Africa and the Middle East / volume editor, Ghada Hashem Talhami
- [V. 5]. North America and the Caribbean / volume editor, Sheryl L. Lutjens
- [V. 6]. Sub-Saharan Africa / volume editor, Laura Arntson.
- Publisher's Summary
- From the skyrocketing AIDS rate in Haiti to the oppressive pollution in industrial China, from the violent street culture of Nigeria to the crippling poverty in Nicaragua, from child trafficking in Thailand to child marriages in India, this jam-packed six-volume set explores all these issues and more in an unprecedented look at the world's children at the dawn of the 21st century. In recent years, while many countries have enjoyed a higher standard of living and improved working conditions, others have been torn apart by war and incapacitated by famine and are struggling to improve life for their children and their future. Recent concern over the world's children has resulted in a global attempt to define what constitutes an acceptable childhood. New attention has been paid, not only to healthcare and secondary education, but also to the right to play and increased access to technology. The United Nations' codification of children's rights has done much to expand our understanding of what is needed for healthy growth and development of children and youth. Organized by region, The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Children's Issues Worldwide is the first globally focused set of this magnitude, offering extensive, up-to-date coverage of these critical issues. Original chapters accessibly synthesize current data on key topics such as child labor laws, kidnapping and gangs, healthcare, and the strength of the family unit. Key issues covered include: BLEducation BLPlay and Recreation BLChild Labor BLFamily BLHealth BLLaws and Legal Status BLReligious Life BLChild Abuse and Neglect BLGrowing Up in the 21st Century Each chapter includes a regional map, a comprehensive resource guide, and a nationalprofile of the country covered, followed by an overview of the most important issues facing children today. Written by an international host of experts, this comprehensive set is an essential research tool for readers interested in the history, education, psychology, and social issues confronting the youth of the 21st century.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- general editor, Irving Epstein ; volume editor Jyotsna Pattnaik.
- 9780313336140 (set : alk. paper)
- 0313336148 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780313336201 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 0313336202 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780313336188 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 0313336180 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 9780313336195 (v. 3 : alk. paper)
- 0313336199 (v. 3 : alk. paper)
- 9780313338786 (v. 4 : alk. paper)
- 0313338787 (v. 4 : alk. paper)
- 9780313336171 (v. 5 : alk. paper)
- 0313336172 (v. 5 : alk. paper)
- 9780313336164 (v. 6 : alk. paper)
- 0313336164 (v. 6 : alk. paper)