Mathematical masterpieces : further chronicles by the explorers
- Arthur Knoebel ... [et al.].
- New York : Springer, c2007.
- Physical description
- xii, 333 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
- Undergraduate texts in mathematics. Readings in mathematics.
- Knoebel, Arthur, 1934-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -322) and indexes.
- Preface.- The Bridge Between the Continuous and the Discrete.- Solving Equations Numerically: Finding our Roots.- Curvature and the Notion of Space.- Patterns in Prime Numbers: The Quadratic Reciprocity Law.- References.- Credits.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780387330617 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The spirit of this book is based on the study of original historical sources to learn great mathematics via the rich insights and motivation provided by original sources. Both the nature and structure of this book are similar to that of the authors' previous UTM, "Mathematical Expeditions". However, the level and mathematical emphasis in the new book is different. "Mathematical Expeditions" contained material from a freshman and sophomore level course, while this new book is taken from a junior and senior level course. At the same time, the focus of the new book is more on modern mathematics than was the case with "Mathematical Expeditions". The new book is more about mathematics than it is about its history. The authors' goal is to throw light on the mathematical world in which we live, and in the process, to introduce students to the exciting world of mathematical discovery, to get across the thrill of exploring the unknown that motivates most mathematicians.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780387330617 20160528
- Publication date
- Undergraduate texts in mathematics. Readings in mathematics
- 9780387330600 (hbk.)
- 0387330607 (hbk.)
- 9780387330617 (pbk.)
- 0387330615 (pbk.)
- 9780387330624 (ebk.)
- 0387330623 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: