Reading Merleau-Ponty : on Phenomenology of perception
- edited by Thomas Baldwin.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2007.
- Physical description
- xi, 170 p. ; 24 cm.
At the library
- Baldwin, Thomas, 1947-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 164-168) and index.
- 1. David Smith The Flesh of Perception: Merleau-Ponty and Husserl
- 2. Sean Kelly What do we see (when we do)?
- 3. Komarine Romdenh-Romluc Merleau-Ponty and the Power to Reckon with the Possible
- 4. Herbert Dreyfus Reply to Romdenh-Romluc
- 5. Mark Wrathall The Phenomenology of Social Rules
- 6. Thomas Baldwin Speaking and Spoken Speech
- 7. Simon Glendinning The Genius of Man
- 8. Naomi Eilan Consciousness, Self-Consciousness and Communication
- 9. Eran Dorfman Perception, Freedom and Radical Reflection
- 10. Francoise Dastur Philosophy and Non-Philosophy Bibliography.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Maurice Merleau-Ponty's "Phenomenology of Perception" is widely acknowledged to be one of the most important contributions to philosophy of the twentieth century. In this volume, leading philosophers from Europe and North America examine the nature and extent of Merleau-Ponty's achievement and consider its importance to contemporary philosophy. The chapters, most of which were specially commissioned for this volume, cover the central aspects of Merleau-Ponty's influential work. These include: Merleau-Ponty's debt to Husserl; Merleau-Ponty's conception of philosophy; Perception, action and the role of the body; consciousness and self-consciousness; naturalism and language; and, social rules and freedom. "Reading Merleau-Ponty" is an indispensable resource for understanding Merleau-Ponty's path-breaking work. It is essential reading for students of phenomenology, philosophy of mind and psychology, and anyone interested in the relationship between phenomenology and analytic philosophy. Contributors include: David Smith, Sean Kelly, Komarine Romdenh-Romluc, Hubert Dreyfus, Mark Wrathall, Thomas Baldwin, Simon Glendinning, Naomi Eilan, Eran Dorfman, and Francoise Dastur.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Selected conference papers.
- 9780415399937 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 0415399939 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9780415399944 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415399947 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: