A life is more than a moment : the desegregation of Little Rock's Central High
- Counts, I. Wilmer (Ira Wilmer), 1931-
- 50th anniversary ed.
- Bloomington, Ind. : Indiana University Press, c2007.
- Physical description
- xviii, 79 p. : ill ; 22 x 26 cm.
LC214.23 .L56 C68 2007
- Unknown LC214.23 .L56 C68 2007
- Introduction by Will Campbell-- A Perspective of Central High by Ernest Dumas-- An Unexpected Crisis by Robert S. McCord-- Covering the Crisis-- Back to Central High-- The Congressional Gold Medal-- Epilogue by Robert S. McCord.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Taken a half-century ago, these photographs depict the desegregation crisis in Little Rock, Arkansas. In 1957, President Dwight D. Eisenhower was so moved at the beating of veteran Alex Wilson that he ordered 1,200 paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne to Little Rock, and federalized the Arkansas National Guard to quell the "disgraceful occurrences." "A Life Is More Than a Moment" carries us back to those painful and turbulent times, but it does not leave us there. In addition to these immortal photos, photographer Will Counts also took new portraits of many of the original subjects when he returned to Little Rock in 1997. Essays by Robert S. McCord, Ernest Dumas, and Will Campbell chart the path leading to the crisis and define its impact on the civil rights movement. This book shows an ugly hatred, but in the end, it is also a book of hope and reconciliation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- text and photographs by Will Counts ; introduction by Will Campbell ; essays by Ernest Dumas and Robert S. McCord.
- Title Variation
- Desegration of Little Rock's Central High
- 0253217938 (pbk.)
- 9780253217936 (pbk.)