Dreams of the West : a history of the Chinese in Oregon, 1850-1950
- [translation into Chinese by Ren Hongbao].
- English, Chinese. Parallel text in English and Chinese.
- Portland, Or. : Ooligan Press : Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association, 2007.
- Physical description
- 109 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 100-102) and index.
- Immigration to Oregon
- Chinese at work
- Chinese culture in America
- Discrimination against the Chinese.
Jointly created by the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association and history students at Portland State University, this bilingual (English/Chinese) history fills a long neglected gap in immigrant history on the West Coast. In four sections, each devoted to a geographic area of Oregon, the rich-often tragic-history of the Chinese is detailed through well-researched text and a wonderful collection of photos-many from private collections not previously seen by the public.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Chinese Americans > Oregon > History > 19th century.
- Chinese Americans > Oregon > History > 20th century.
- Immigrants > Oregon > History > 19th century.
- Immigrants > Oregon > History > 20th century.
- Chinese Americans > Oregon > Social life and customs > 19th century.
- Chinese Americans > Oregon > Social life and customs > 20th century.
- Oregon > Ethnic relations > History > 19th century.
- Oregon > Ethnic relations > History > 20th century.
- Publication date
- 9781932010138 (pbk.)
- 1932010130 (pbk.)
- 9781932010213 (hbk.)
- 1932010211 (hbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: