- edited by D. Yogi Goswami, Frank Kreith.
- Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press, c2008.
- Physical description
- 1 v. (various pagings) : ill. (some col.), maps ; 26 cm.
- Mechanical engineering series (Boca Raton, Fla.)
Engineering Library (Terman)
TK2896 .E485 2008
- Unknown TK2896 .E485 2008
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction, D.Y. Goswami ENERGY RESOURCES Fossil Fuels, R. Reuther, R. Bajura, and P.C. Crouse Biomass Energy, R.P. Overend and L.L. Wright Nuclear Resources, J.S. Tulenko Solar Energy Resources, D.Y. Goswami Wind Energy Resources, D.E. Berg Geothermal Energy, J.L. Renner and M.J. Reed ENERGY CONVERSION Steam Power Plant, J. Kern Gas Turbines, S.I. Freedman Internal Combustion Engines, D.E. Klett and E.M. Afify Hydraulic Turbines, R.E.A. Arndt Stirling Engines, W.B. Stine Advanced Fossil Fuel Power Systems, A.F. Armor Combined-Cycle Power Plants, A. Lezuo Energy Storage Technologies, R. Hammerschlag and C.P. Schaber Nuclear Power Technologies, E.A. Harvego and K.D. Kok Nuclear Fusion, T.E. Shannon Solar Thermal Energy Conversion, T.A. Reddy, R. Battisti, H. Schweiger, W. Weiss, J.H. Morehouse, D.Y. Goswami, and S. Vijayaraghaven Concentrating Solar Thermal Power, M. Romero-Alvarez and E. Zarza Photovoltaics Fundamentals, Technology, and Application, R. Messenger, D.Y. Goswami, H.M. Upadhyaya, T.M. Razykov. A.N. Tiwari, R. Winston, and R. McConnell Wind Energy Conversion, D.E. Berg Biomass Energy Conversion Processes for Energy Recovery, M. Kayhamian, G. Tchobanoglous, and R.C. Brown Geothermal Energy Conversion, K. Kitz Waste to Energy Conversion, C.O. Velzy and L.M. Grillo Ocean Energy Technology, D. Bharathan and F. Zangrando Fuel Cells, X. Li Direct Energy Conversion, M.L. Ramalingan Appendices.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Discussing methods for maximizing available energy, "Energy Conversion" surveys the latest advances in energy conversion from a wide variety of currently available energy sources. The book describes energy sources such as fossil fuels, biomass including refuse-derived biomass fuels, nuclear, solar radiation, wind, geothermal, and ocean, then provides the terminology and units used for each energy resource and their equivalence. It includes an overview of the steam power cycle, gas turbines, internal combustion engines, hydraulic turbines, Stirling engines, advanced fossil fuel power systems, and combined-cycle power plants. It outlines the development, current use, and future of nuclear fission. The book also gives a comprehensive description of the direct energy conversion methods, including, Photovoltaics, Fuel Cells, Thermoelectric conversion, Thermionics and MHD.It briefly reviews the physics of PV electrical generation, discusses the PV system design process, presents several PV system examples, summarizes the latest developments in crystalline silicon PV, and explores some of the present challenges facing the large scale deployment of PV energy sources. The book discusses five energy storage categories: electrical, electromechanical, mechanical, direct thermal, and thermochemical and the storage media that can store and deliver energy. With contributions from researchers at the top of their fields and on the cutting edge of technologies, the book provides comprehensive coverage of end use efficiency of green technology. It includes in-depth discussions not only of better efficient energy management in buildings and industry, but also of how to plan and design for efficient use and management from the ground up.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Energy conversion.
- Publication date
- Mechanical engineering series
- "The material presented in this handbook has been extracted from the two previous handbooks edited by us. The first is the Handbook of michanical engineering and the other the Handbook of energy efficiency and Renewable energy published in 2007. ..."--Preface.
- 9781420044317 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1420044311 (hbk. : alk. paper)