Dashing Diamond Dick and other classic dime novels
- edited with an introduction and notes by J. Randolph Cox.
- New York : Penguin Books, 2007.
- Physical description
- xxix, 344 p. : ill. ; 20 cm.
- Penguin classics.
- Cox, J. Randolph.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. [xxvii]-xxix).
- Dashing Diamond Dick ; or, the tigers of Tombstone / by W.B. Lawson
- Over the Andes with Frank Reade, Jr., in his new air-ship ; or, wild adventures in Peru / by "Noname"
- Frank Merriwell's finish ; or, blue against crimson / by the author of "Frank Merriwell"
- The liberty boys of '76 ; or, fighting for freedom / by Harry Moore
- Dr. Quartz II, at bay ; or, a man of iron nerve / edited by the author of "Nick Carter".
- Publisher's Summary
- A one-of-a-kind compendium of popular fiction from a bygone era Dime novels aas fundamentally American as baseball and jazzawere an inexpensive and inexhaustible source of popular entertainment for millions of Americans in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The five novels in this unique anthology are classic examples of the form, which encompassed Westerns, early science fiction, detective and mystery yarns, and Revolutionary War historicals. From the handsome gambler aDashing Diamond Dicka and the daring inventor in aOver the Andes with Frank Reade, Jr., in His New Air-Shipa to the mythic baseball player in aFrank Merriwellas Finish, a here are some of the most valiant heroes and notorious rogues in the pantheon. Read together, these novels are fascinating time capsules from a young nation in love with its larger-than-life characters.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780143104971 20160527
- Publication date
- Penguin classics
- 9780143104971 (pbk.)
- 0143104977 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: