Vortex dominated flows : analysis and computation for multiple scale phenomena
- [Rev., updated, and enlarged ed.] / Lu Ting, Rupert Klein, Omar M. Knio.
- Berlin ; New York : Springer, c2007.
- Physical description
- xiii, 506 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
- Applied mathematical sciences (Springer-Verlag New York Inc.) ; v. 161.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction.- Vortex Dominated Flows and General Theory.- Motion and Decay of Vortex Filaments - Matched Asymptotics.- Nonlinear Dynamics of Nearly Straight Vortex Filaments.- Numerical Simulation of Slender Vortex Filaments.- Numerical Simulations of the Merging of Vortices or Filaments.- Flow-Generated Sound.- Sound-Generated Flow.- Epilogue.- Appendices: A. Governing Equations for Higher-Order Solutions.- B. Second-Order Two-Time Solutions.- C. Equations of Motion of Filaments.- D. Formulae for the Coefficients in (6.2.74) and (6.2.75).- E. Transformations to Filament-Attached Coordinates.- References.- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Addressed to both graduate students and researchers this monograph provides in-depth analyses of vortex-dominated flows via matched and multiscale asymptotics, and it demonstrates how insight gained through these analyses can be exploited in the construction of robust, efficient, and accurate numerical techniques. The dynamics of slender vortex filaments is discussed in detail, including fundamental derivations, compressible core structure, weakly non-linear limit regimes, and associated numerical methods. Similarly, the volume covers asymptotic analysis and computational techniques for weakly compressible flows involving vortex-generated sound and thermoacoustics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Applied mathematical sciences ; v. 161
- Previous ed. published as: Viscous vortical flows / L. Ting, R. Klein. 1991.
- Related Work
- Ting, L. (Lu), 1925- Viscous vortical flows.
Browse related items
Start at call number: