Einstein's general theory of relativity : with modern applications in cosmology
- Øyvind Grøn, Sigbjørn Hervik.
- New York : Springer, c2007.
- Physical description
- xx, 538 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -532) and index.
- I. Introduction: Newtonian Physics and Special Relativity- 1. Relativity Principals and Gravitation 2. The Special Theory of Relativity II. The Mathematics of the General Theory of Relativity- 3. Vectors, Tensors, and Forms 4. Basis Vector Fields and Metric Tensor 5. Non-inertial Reference Frames 6. Differentiation, Connections and Integration 7. Curvature II. Einstein's Field Equations- 8. Einstein's Field Equations 9. The Linear Field Approximation 10. The Schwarzschild Solution and Black Holes IV. Cosmology- 11. Homogeneous and Isotropic Universe Models 12. Universe Models with Vacuum Energy 13. An Anisotropic Universe V. Advanced Topics- 14. Covariant decomposition, Singularities, and Canonical Cosmology 15. Homogeneous Spaces 16. Israel's Formalism: The metric junction method 17. Brane-worlds 18. Kaluza-Klein Theory VI. Appendices- A. Constrants of Nature B. Penrose diagrams C. Anti-de Sitter spacetime D. Suggested further reading.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780387691992 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The book introduces the general theory of relativity and includes applications to cosmology. The book contains a thorough introduction to tensor calculus and curved manifolds. After the necessary mathematical tools are introduced, we give a thorough presentation of the theory of relativity. Also, some advanced topics not previously covered by textbooks; e.g. Kaluza-Klein theory, Israel's formalism and branes. Anisotropic cosmological models are also included. The book contains a large number of new exercises and examples, each with separate headings. The reader will get an updated introduction to general relativity including the most recent developments in cosmology.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780387691992 20160528
- Publication date
- 9780387691992 (hbk.)
- 0387691995 (hbk.)
- 9780387692005 (e-ISBN)
- 0387692002 (e-ISBN)
Browse related items
Start at call number: