Handbook of alternative fuel technologies
- Sunggyu Lee, James G. Speight, Sudarshan K. Loyalka.
- Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press, c2007.
- Physical description
- 552 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- GLOBAL ENERGY OVERVIEW-- S. Lee World Energy Consumption The U.S. Energy Consumption Petroleum Natural Gas Coal Nuclear Energy Renewable Energy GASIFICATION OF COAL-- S. Lee Syngas Classification Based on Its Heating Value Coal Gasification Reactions Syngas Generation via Coal Gasification Mathematical Modeling of Coal Gasifiers Future of Coal Gasification CLEAN LIQUID FUELS FROM COAL-- S. Lee Coal Pyrolysis for Liquid Fuel Direct Liquefaction of Coal Indirect Liquefaction of Coal Coal/Oil Co-processing COAL SLURRY FUEL-- S. Lee Coal Slurry Characterization Coal-Water Slurry Coal-Oil Slurry Advanced Transportation of Coal Slurry Environmental Issues Combustion Recent Advances and Future LIQUID FUELS FROM NATURAL GAS-- J.G. Speight Occurrence and Resources Composition Natural Gas Liquids Conversion of Natural Gas to Liquids The Future RESIDS-- J.G. Speight Resid Production Properties Composition Use of Data Resid Conversion LIQUID FUELS FROM OIL SAND-- J.G. Speight Occurrence and Reserves Bitumen Properties Bitumen Recovery Liquid Fuels from Oil Sand SHALE OIL FROM OIL SHALE-- S. Lee Oil Shale as Synthetic Fuel Source Constraints in Commercial Production of Shale Oil Research and Development Needs in Oil Shale Properties of Oil Shale and Shale Oil Oil Shale Extraction and Retorting Processes METHANOL SYNTHESIS FROM SYNGAS-- S. Lee Chemistry of Methanol Synthesis Methanol Synthesis Technology Future of Methanol ETHANOL FROM CORN-- S. Lee Fuel Ethanol from Corn Ethanol as Oxygenated Fuel Chemistry of Ethanol Fermentation Corn-to-Ethanol Process Technology Ethanol as Transportation Fuel Ethanol Vehicles Use of Ethanol as Other Than Renewable Fuel ETHANOL FROM LIGNOCELLULOSICS-- S. Lee Agricultural Lignocellulosic Feedstocks Ethanol Extraction during Fermentation Lignin Conversion Co-Products Energy Balance for Ethanol Production from Biomass Process Economics and Strategic Direction ENERGY FROM BIOMASS CONVERSION-- S. Lee Thermal Conversion Biological Conversion: Anaerobic Digestion ENERGY GENERATION FROM WASTE SOURCES-- S. Lee Energy Recovery from Municipal Solid Wastes (MSWs) Energy Generation from Polymeric Wastes Fuel Production from Spent Tires GEOTHERMAL ENERGY-- S. Lee and H.B. Lanterman Geothermal Energy as Renewable Energy History of Geothermal Energy Developments Geothermal Processes and Applications Scientific and Technological Developments Conclusion NUCLEAR ENERGY-- S.K. Loyalka Nuclear Fission and Nuclear Reactor Physics Electricity Generation from Nuclear Reactors Nuclear Fuel Cycle Types of Reactors Public Concerns of Safety and Health Nuclear Fusion FUEL CELLS-- M.F. Ion and S.K. Loyalka Basic Concepts Fuel Cell System Low Temperature Fuel Cells High Temperature Fuel Cells Hydrogen Production and Storage Current Performances Research and Development Issues Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In addition to enabling a clean and energy efficient future, alternative fuel sources are fast becoming a necessity for meeting today's growing demands for low-cost and convenient energy. "The Handbook of Alternative Fuel Technologies" offers a thorough guide to the science and available technologies for developing alternatives to petroleum fuel sources and petrochemical feed stocks. This handbook focuses on the different intermediates and raw material options that can generate energy output and products equivalent to conventional petroleum sources. It presents short-term options for clean alternative energy sources that complement the development of long-term sustainable energy infrastructures.Detailing the chemical processes for each technology, the text assesses the environmental impact, benefits, and performance of the various processes and fuel products. It also summarizes processing and transportation issues, safety concerns, regulations, and other practical considerations associated with alternative fuels.After presenting a global energy overview, the book describes clean and alternative methods of producing liquid fuels, crude oil, syngas, and methanol from coal, coal slurry, natural gas, resids, oil sand bitumen, and oil shale. It details the chemical reaction mechanisms, biological processes, and unit operations for converting corn, lignocellulosic materials, and biomass into alcoholic fuels. It also covers the processes and thermodynamics of converting various waste materials into energy. The final chapters discuss the science, benefits, and applications of geothermal energy, nuclear energy, and fuel cells. Blending up-to-date technical information with current trend analysis and feasible implementation strategies, the "Handbook of Alternative Fuel Technologies" provides an ideal foundation for scientists, engineers, and policymakers interested in developing alternative energy sources.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- Also available on the World Wide Web.
- 9780824740696 (alk. paper)
- 0824740696 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: