Modern Judaism and historical consciousness : identities, encounters, perspectives
- edited by Andreas Gotzmann and Christian Wiese.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2007.
- Physical description
- xxii, 658 p. ; 25 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -630) and indexes.
- CONTENTS Introduction Andreas Gotzmann and Christian Wiese Part I: The Emergence and Function of a New Scholarly Paradigm
- 1. Moses Mendelssohn and the Polemics of History Jonathan M. Hess
- 2. Outside and Inside the Nations: Changing Borders in the Study of the Jewish Past during the Nineteenth Century Nils Roemer
- 3. Glaube und Geschichte: A Vexed Relationship in German-Jewish Culture David N. Myers
- 4. Two Persistent Tensions within Wissenschaft des Judentums Michael A. Meyer Part II: Jewish Historiography and Its Encounter with Other Disciplines
- 5. Rabbinic Literature, Rabbinic History, and Scholarly Thinking: Wissenschaft and Beyond Richard S. Sarason
- 6. Religionswissenschaft and Early Reform Jewish Thought: Samuel Hirsch and David Einhorn Gershon Greenberg
- 7. "The Best Antidote to Anti-Semitism"? Wissenschaft des Judentums, Protestant Biblical Scholarship, and Anti-Semitism in Germany before 1933 Christian Wiese
- 8. Fashioning a Neutral Zone: Jewish and Protestant Socialists Challenge Religionswissenschaft in Weimar Germany Marc A. Krell
- 9. The Absence of an Encounter: Sociology and Jewish Studies Pierre Birnbaum
- 10. Jewish Thought, Philosophy, and the Holocaust Michael L. Morgan
- 11. "Jewish Literature" and "World Literature": Wissenschaft des Judentums and its Concept of Literature Andreas B. Kilcher Part III: Ideology and Popularization in Jewish Historiography
- 12. Historicizing Emancipation: Jewish Historical Culture and Wissenschaft in Germany, 1912-1938 Christhard Hoffmann
- 13. Historiography in a Cultural Ghetto: Jewish Historians in Nazi Germany Michael Brenner
- 14. From Text to Edition: Processes of Scholarly Thinking in German-Jewish Literature in the Early Nineteenth Century Gabriele von Glasenapp Part IV: Wissenschaft and Jewish Identity
- 15. Dimensions and Varieties of Orthodox Judaism Aviezer Ravitzky
- 16. Which Wissenschaft? Reconstructionism's Theological Appropriation of Sociology and Religious Naturalism Robert M. Seltzer
- 17. Postzionism and Postmodern Theory: The Challenge to Jewish Studies Laurence J. Silberstein Part V: New Concepts and Perspectives
- 18. Responsive Thinking: Cultural Studies and Jewish Historiography Jonathan Boyarin
- 19. Historiography as Cultural Identity: Toward a Jewish History beyond National History Andreas Gotzmann
- 20. The Impact of Feminist Theory on Jewish Studies Susannah Heschel
- 21. What Power for Which Jews? (Post)Modern Reflections on the Idea of Power in Jewish Historiography Anthony D. Kauders.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The volume, composed by excellent scholars from different academic disciplines, is a comprehensive handbook devoted to the complex relationship between modern Judaism and historical thinking in Europe, the United States, and Israel from the Enlightenment to the present. Apart from analyzing the emergence of a new scholarly historical paradigm during this period, the contributions interpret the interaction and the tensions between Jewish historiography and other disciplines such as literature, theology, sociology, and philosophy, describe the way historical consciousness was popularized and used for ideological purposes and explore the impact of different - religious or secular - identities on the historical representation of the Jewish past. A final part envisions new theoretical and methodological concepts within the field, including cultural studies and gender studies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Jews > Historiography.
- Judaism > Historiography.
- Jewish learning and scholarship.
- Rabbinical literature > History and criticism.
- Reform Judaism.
- Antisemitism > History.
- Jewish literature > History and criticism.
- Jews > Emancipation.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) > Historiography.
- Zionism > Historiography.
- Orthodox Judaism.
- Jewish women > Historiography.
- Publication date
- 9789004152892 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 900415289X (hbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: