Aliens at my table : Asians as New Zealanders see them
- Manying Ip, Nigel Murphy = [Tong zhuo yi ke : Niuxilan ren kan Ya yi / Ye Song Manying, Mailizu].
- English, Chinese. Text in English and Chinese.
- Auckland, N.Z. : Penguin Books, 2005.
- Physical description
- 168 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 165-166).
- CHINESE POPULATION STATISTICS
- Chapter One: INTRODUCTION
- Chapter Two: ASIANS AND CARTOONING IN NEW ZEALAND
- Chapter Three:
- DEFENDING FAIR NEW ZEALAND: Walls and Floodgates
- Chapter Four: ASIAN POLITICS: A borrowed British view
- Chapter Five: UGLY ASIANS: The faceless Mongolian horde
- Chapter Six:
- ECONOMIC COMPETITORS: The live on the smell of an oily rag
- Chapter Seven: THREAT TO NEW ZEALAND IDENTITY
- BIOGRAPHIES OF CARTOONISTS
- PUBLICATIONS FEATURING THE CARTOONS
- CHRONOLOGY OF ASIAN HISTORY IN NEW ZEALAND
- FURTHER READING AND USEFUL WEBSITES.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This book sets out to provoke a radical rethinking of some of the deep-seated and subconscious attitudes towards 'Asians' and Asia held by many New Zealanders, as reflected in cartoons of the past 140 years. Cartoons are powerful visual images which have an immediacy greater than that of words. Many New Zealanders are now grappling with understanding the issues behind 'bad Asian drivers', 'rising property prices', 'student criminals'. These issues go back 150 years to the arrival of the first Chinese, towards the end of the Gold Rushes. Our attitude to Asians as the essential outsider has undergone little change since then. New Asian immigrants cannot understand our prejudice, or where it comes from. Using political cartoons, this book examines New Zealanders' attitudes to Asians from the 1850s until the present day. The cartoons are arranged thematically and chronologically, accompanied by explanatory text. Each chapter has an introductory preface, with a major preface.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Chinese > New Zealand > Public opinion.
- Chinese > New Zealand > Caricatures and cartoons.
- Public opinion > New Zealand.
- Race discrimination > New Zealand > History > Caricatures and cartoons.
- New Zealand wit and humor, Pictorial.
- New Zealand > Politics and government > Caricatures and cartoons.
- Publication date
- Title variation
- Asians as New Zealanders see them
- Tong zhuo yi ke : Niuxilan ren kan Ya yi
- Parallel title and statement of authoship in Chinese characters.
- 0143019546 (pbk.)
- 9780143019541 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: