A guide to Old English
- Mitchell, Bruce, 1920-2010
- English, English, Old (ca. 450-1100). Text in English and Old English.
- 7th ed.
- Malden, MA : Blackwell Publishing, 2007.
- Physical description
- xvi, 432 p. : ill., maps ; 23 cm.
- Robinson, Fred C.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -151) and index.
- Foreword to the Sixth Edition.Foreword to the Seventh Edition.Map of Anglo-Saxon England.Abbreviations and Symbols.How to Use this Guide.Part I:.1. Preliminary Remarks on the Language.2. Orthography and Pronunciation.i. Orthography.ii. Stress.iii. Vowels.iv. Diphthongs.v. Consonants.3. Inflexions.Introduction.i. Pronouns.ii. Nouns and Sound-Changes Relevant to Them:.Weak Nouns.Some Technical Terms.Strong Nouns like st n (Masc.) and scip (Neut.).Masculine and Neuter Nouns in -e.Strong Feminine Nouns.i-Mutation.Nouns Affected by i-Mutation.u-Nouns.iii. Adjectives:.Introduction.Weak Declension.Strong Declension.Stem Changes in Adjectives.Comparison of Adjectives.iv. Observations on Noun, Adjective, and Pronoun Declensions.v. Numerals.vi. Strong Verbs and Sound-Changes Relevant to Them:.Introduction.Principal Parts of the Strong Verbs.Breaking.Influence of Initial , sc, .Influence of Nasals.Summary of the Strong Verbs of Class III.The Effects of Sound-Changes on Other Strong Verbs.Strong Verbs of Class VII.Grimm's Law and Verner's Law.Conjugation of the Strong Verb.vii. Weak Verbs and Sound-Changes Relevant to Them:.Introduction.Class 1.Class 2.Class 3.viii. Anomalous Verbs:.B on.D n and g n.Willan.Preterite-Present Verbs.ix. Is a Verb Strong or Weak? To which Class does it Belong?.x. Adverbs:.Formation.Comparison.4. Word Formation.Introduction.i. Compounding.ii. The Addition of Affixes:.Prefixes.Suffixes.5. Syntax.Introduction.i. Word-Order.ii. Sentence Structure:.Recapitulation and Anticipation.The Splitting of Heavy Groups.Correlation.iii. Noun Classes:.Introduction.Dependent Statements and Desires.Dependent Questions.The Accusative and Infinitive.iv. Adjective Clauses:.Definite Adjective Clauses.Indefinite Adjective Clauses.Mood.v. Adverb Clauses:.Introduction.Non-Prepositional Conjunctions.Prepositional Conjunctions.An Exercise in Analysis.Clauses of Place.Clauses of Time.Clauses of Purpose and Result.Causal Clauses.Clauses of Comparison.Clauses of Concession.Clauses of Condition.Adverb Clauses Expressing Other Relationships.Other Ways of Expressing Adverbial Relationships.vi. Parataxis:.Introduction.List of Conjunctions and Adverbs Commonly Used.Parataxis without Conjunctions.Some Special Idioms.vii. Concord:.1. Nouns, Pronouns and their Modifiers.2. Pronouns and their Antecedents.3. Subject and Verb.viii. The Uses of the Cases:.Nominative.Accusative.Genitive.Dative.Instrumental.ix. Articles, Pronouns, and Numerals:.Articles and Pronouns.Numerals.x. Verbs:.The Uses of the Present and Preterite Tenses.The Resolved Tenses:.Introduction.The Verb 'to have' as an Auxiliary.The Verb 'to be' as an Auxiliary of Tense.The Passive.Other Uses of the Present and Past Participles.The Uses of the Infinitives.The 'Modal' Auxiliaries:.Introduction.Magan.M tan.Cunnan.Sculan.Willian.Impersonal Verbs.xi. Prepositions:.List of Prepositions.6. An Introduction to Anglo-Saxon Studies.i. Some Significant Dates.ii. History.iii. Archaeology:.Introduction.List of Abbreviated Titles.Weapons and Warfare.Life and Dress.Architecture and Buildings.Sculpture and Carving.Jewellery and Metalwork.Embroidery.Coins.Manuscripts and Runic Inscriptions.The Sutton Hoo Ship-Burial.iv. Language:.Changes in English.The Danish Invasions.The Norman Conquest.Vocabulary.Some Questions.v. Literature:.Introduction.Poetry.Prose.7. Select Bibliography.General.Chapter 1 Preliminary Remarks on the Language.Chapter 2 Orthography and Pronunciation.Chapter 3 Inflexions.Chapter 4 Word Formation.Chapter 5 Syntax.Chapter 6 Introduction to Anglo-Saxon Studies.History.Archaeology.Language:.History of English Prose.Vocabulary:.Word Formation.Changes of Meaning.Borrowings.Literature:.Topics Raised.General Criticism.Poetry Texts.Appreciation of the Poetry.The Use of Oral Formulae.Metre.Prose Texts.Sources.Appendix A Strong Verbs.Appendix B Some Effects of i-Mutation.Appendix C Metre.Appendix D List of Linguistic Terms Used in this Book.Appendix E The Moods of Old English.Part II: Prose and Verse Texts:.1. Practice Sentences.2. Two Old Testament Pieces:.The Fall of Man.Abraham and Isaac.3. A Colloquy on the Occupations.4. Two Characteristic Prose Works by Alfric:.Preface to Genesis.St. Edmund, King and Martyr.5. Alfred the Great's Preface to his Translation of Gregory's Pastoral Care.6. Cynewulf and Cyneheard.7. Selections from the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.8. Bede's Account of the Conversion of King Edwin.9. Bede's Account of the Poet Cadmon.10. The Goths and Boethius: Prose and Verse from the Introduction to King Alfred's Boethius Translation.11. (a)-(p) Riddles.12. The Battle of Maldon.13. The Ruin.14. The Dream of the Rood.15. The Wife's Lament.16. The Wanderer.17. The Seafarer.18. Four excerpts from Beowulf:.(a) Beowulf's Fight with Grendel.(b) Beowulf Consoles Hrothgar for Aschere's Death.(c) The Lament of the Last Survivor.(d) Beowulf's Funeral.19. Wulf and Eadwacer.20. Judith.21. Cotton Gnomes or Maxims.22. Sermo Lupi ad Anglos.A Note on the Punctuation of Old English Poetry.Glossary.Indexes to Part One:.Index of Subjects.Index of Words.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The seventh edition of this popular introduction to Old English language and literature retains the general structure and style of previous editions, but has been updated, and includes two new, much-requested texts: the "Cotton Gnomes" and Wulfstan's "Sermo Lupia ad Anglos" - and two new appendices: A List of Linguistic Terms Used in This Book and The Moods of Old English. This title provides a range of helpful pedagogical tools: a map of Anglo-Saxon England, notes, a glossary, indexes to Part I, and a general introduction to Anglo-Saxon studies. It contains a special 'How to Use this Guide' section, to aid both self-study and classroom use.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- Bruce Mitchell, Fred C. Robinson.
- 9781405146906 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1405146907 (pbk. : alk. paper)