Editorializing "the Indian problem" : the New York Times on Native Americans, 1860-1900
- Paperback ed.
- Carbondale : Southern Illinois University Press, 2007.
- Physical description
- xxix, 357 p. ; 23 cm.
- Hays, Robert G.
- The Times and the Indian problem
- The status of the Indian
- The national Indian policy
- The Chiefs
- The Indian wars
- Encroaching civilization
- Massacres and lesser injustices
- Treaties and other broken promises
- Public opinion and the role of the press
- Indian culture and politics.
- Publisher's Summary
- Drawing on four decades of "New York Times" editorials, Robert Hays demonstrates the magnitude of the conflict between Native American and white European cultures as settlers and adventurers spread rapidly across the continent in the post - Civil War period. From 1860 through 1900, the "Times" published nearly a thousand editorials on what was commonly called "the Indian problem." Selecting some of the best of these editorials, Hays gives readers what current accounts cannot: contemporary writers' perspectives on the public images of Native Americans and their place in a nation bent on expansion. Some editorials express the unbridled bitterness and raw ambition of a nation immersed in an agenda of conquest, while others resonate with the struggle to find a common ground. Still others evince an attitude of respect, which set the tone for reconciling national ambition with natural rights. American history demonstrates time and again the price of Manifest Destiny. Many of the issues confronting nineteenth-century Native Americans remain alive today: unemployment, infant mortality, suicide, crime, alcoholism, and poverty. In presenting the authentic and urgent voices of a national newspaper's daily record, Hays illuminates the roots of our current challenges.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Table of contents only
Contributor biographical information
- Publication date
- [compiled by] Robert Hays ; with a foreword by Paul Simon.
- Includes index.
- Revised edition of 'Race at Bay', c1997.--T.p. verso.
- Related Work
- Hays, Robert G. Race at bay.
- New York times.
- 9780809327621 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0809327627 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0809320673 (cloth)
- 9780809320677 (cloth)