Rising above the gathering storm : energizing and employing America for a brighter economic future
- Committee on Prospering in the Global Economy of the 21st Century : an agenda for American science and technology ; Committee on Science, Engineering, and Public Policy ; National academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and Institute of Medicine of the National Academies.
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, c2007.
- Physical description
- xxvi, 564 p. : ill., map ; 24 cm.
Engineering Library (Terman)
|HC106.83 .R57 2007||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 517-535) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- In a world where advanced knowledge is widespread and low-cost labor is readily available, U.S. advantages in the marketplace and in science and technology have begun to erode. A comprehensive and coordinated federal effort is urgently needed to bolster U.S. competitiveness and pre-eminence in these areas. This congressionally requested report by a pre-eminent committee makes four recommendations along with 20 implementation actions that federal policy-makers should take to create high-quality jobs and focus new science and technology efforts on meeting the nation's needs, especially in the area of clean, affordable energy: increase America's talent pool by vastly improving K-12 mathematics and science education; sustain and strengthen the nation's commitment to long-term basic research; develop, recruit, and retain top students, scientists, and engineers from both the U.S. and abroad; and, ensure that the United States is the premier place in the world for innovation. Some actions will involve changing existing laws, while others will require financial support that would come from reallocating existing budgets or increasing them. "Rising Above the Gathering Storm" will be of great interest to federal and state government agencies, educators and schools, public decision makers, research sponsors, regulatory analysts, and scholars.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780309100397 20160528
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- Also issued online.
- 0309654424 (pdf)
- 9780309654425 (pdf)
Browse related items
Start at call number: