Rakaposhi attempt, 1956, Gasherbrum I, the Sierra Nevada, and Selkirks : mountaineering photographs by Robert L. Swift, 1947-1972
- Physical description
- 1 linear foot (2 manuscript boxes: accession 2007-086 -- 100 negatives, 159 contact prints, and 1 CD; accession 2013-062 -- 400 negatives, 260 slides, 67 prints, 1 video, 1 CD)
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|M1570 BOX 1||In-library use|
|M1570 BOX 2||In-library use|
- Swift, Robert L.
Accession 2007-086: The compact disk and contact prints are of the Gasherbrum I expedition, 1958. Gasherbrum I was first climbed on July 5, 1958 by Pete Schoening and Andy Kauffman of an eight-man American expedition led by Nicholas B. Clinch. Richard K. Irvin, Tom Nevison, Tom McCormack, Gil Roberts and Bob Swift were also members of the team. The negatives are of Sierra Nevada and Selkirk climbs, 1947-1951. Included with the collection is a short autobiographical note by Bob Swift.
- Accession 2013-062: The compact disk and video are the Rakaposhi Swiss arrete climb, 1956. Prints include the El Capitan tree / Yosemite Point buttress climb, Mount Ritter, Devil's Slide tyrolean traverse, and caving. Two negative books, eight slide boxes, and eight slide sheets are of mixed material, many labeled.
- Clinch, Nicholas, 1930-2016
- Irvin, Richard K.
- Kauffman, Andrew.
- McCormack, Tom.
- Nevison, Tom.
- Roberts, Gilbert J.
- Schoening, Pete.
- Mountaineering > History > Photographs.
- Mountaineering > Sierra Nevada (Calif. and Nev.)
- Mountaineering > Gasherbrum I (Pakistan and China)
- Mountaineering > Selkirk Range > Photographs.
- Rock climbing > California > Yosemite Valley.
- Gasherbrum I (Pakistan and China) > Photographs.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 36 hours in advance of intended use.
- Gift of Robert L. Swift, 2006 and 2013. Accessions 2007-086 and 2013-062.
- Bob Swift started climbing with the Sierra Club's Rock Climbing Section in the late 1940s, where his tutors included Dave Brower and Jim Leonard. In 1956 he joined Dick Irvin on an unsuccessful attempt of Rakaposhi, and in 1958 was part of the team that made the first ascent of Hidden Peak (Gasherbrum I). For several years he was owner-operator of the Palisade School of Mountaineering.
Browse related items
Start at call number: