Gay-straight alliances : a handbook for students, educators, and parents
- Macgillivray, Ian K., 1967-
- Binghamton, NY : Harrington Park Press, c2007.
- Physical description
- xvi, 96 p. ; 22 cm.
LC2574.5 .M33 2007
- Unknown LC2574.5 .M33 2007
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 89-91) and index.
- What is a gay-straight alliance?
- For students : starting a GSA in your school
- For teachers and counselors : how to work with GSAs
- For principals and superintendents : GSAs and the law
- For school boards : understanding the opposition and working with parents
- For parents : supporting your child
- Conclusion: In support of equality and inclusion
- Appendix A: Resources on sexual orientation and gender identity development
- Appendix B: Resources on LGBT issues and schools
- Appendix C: 1984 Federal Equal Access Act.
- Publisher's Summary
- A step by step guide to the school club that provides a safe place for LGBT and straight kidsA Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) provides a safe place for students to discuss issues, meet others, and get support from those who care. Gay-Straight Alliances: A Handbook for Students, Educators, and Parents explains exactly how to begin this important type of school club that helps build positive relationships and promotes knowledge and tolerance. This guide tells students what it takes to start a GSA at their school, teachers how best to work with GSAs, and helps principals and superintendents to understand the applicable laws. Parents who read this book can discover for themselves just how positive an influence the GSA may be in their child's life.Beginning a Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) takes courage as well as the support of educators and parents. Gay-Straight Alliances: A Handbook for Students, Educators, and Parents discusses all aspects of this type of school club, including the issues and challenges students will face when forming it. Teachers are given helpful perspectives on how to meet the inevitable concerns of parents and public officials and how to be an effective advisor. Principals and school officials are given an overview of the federal laws and the responsibility of schools to adhere to them. The book includes appendixes with helpful resources on sexual orientation and gender identity development, LGBT issues and schools, and the 1984 Federal Equal Access Act.Topics in Gay-Straight Alliances: A Handbook for Students, Educators, and Parents include: starting a GSA in ten steps how teachers and counselors can work with GSAs including transgender students First Amendment rights 1984 Federal Equal Access Act Title IX a review of federal guidelines for religious expression in public schools school anti-harassment policies understanding the opposition-with strategies for working with them working with parents common misconceptions about GSAsGay-Straight Alliances: A Handbook for Students, Educators, and Parents is a valuable guide for students wanting to start a Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) at their school, for teachers on how to best work with GSAs, for principals and superintendents on GSAs and the law, and for parents who have children in schools with GSAs.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- Ian K. Macgillivray.
- 9781560236856 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 156023685X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781560236849 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1560236841 (hbk. : alk. paper)