21st century sociology : a reference handbook
- edited by Clifton D. Bryant, Dennis L. Peck.
- Thousand Oaks : SAGE Publications, c2007.
- Physical description
- 2 v. : ill. ; 29 cm.
- 21st century reference series (Thousand Oaks, Ventura County, Calif.)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- VOLUME ONE: TRADITIONAL AND CORE AREAS Preface About the Editors About the Contributors Part I: The Discipline of Sociology 1. The Sociological Perspective - Dennis L. Peck and Clifton D. Bryant 2. The History of Sociology: The European Perspective - Gerd Nollmann and Hermann Strasser 3. The History of Sociology: The North American Perspective - John P. Drysdale and Susan Hoecker-Drysdale 4. Sociological Theory in the 21st Century - Jonathan H. Turner Part II: International Perspectives 5. Asian Sociology - Chikako Usui 6. Sociology in Canada - Neil McLaughlin and Antony J. Puddephatt 7. European Sociology - Gerd Nollmann and Hermann Strasser 8. British Sociology - Bryan S. Turner Part III: The Scientific Approach to the Study of Society 9. Qualitative Methodology - Norman K. Denzin 10. Quantitative Methodology - Kenneth D. Bailey 11. Comparative Historical Sociology - William R. Wood and John Williamson Part IV: The Fabric of Social Life 12. The Sociology of Culture - Lakshmi Kant Bharadwaj 13. The Sociology of Socialization - Lee Garth Vigilant and John Williamson 14. Social Psychology - J. David Knottnerus Part V: Social Aggregations 15. The Sociology of Social Structure - Fabrizio Bernardi, Juan J. Gonzalez, and Miguel Requena 16. The Sociology of Group Dynamics - Jane Sell 17. The Sociology of Organization - Richard A. Colignon 18. Industrial Sociology - Ronald G. Stover 19. The Sociology of Voluntary Associations - Bart Bonikowski and Miller McPherson 20. The Sociology of Social Networks - Bernice A. Pescosolido 21. Work and Occupations - Douglas Harper Part VI: Social Distinctions and Diversity 22. Social Stratification - Harold R. Kerbo 23. The Sociology of Racial and Ethnic Relations - Frank Harold Wilson 24. The Sociology of Gender - Rosalind A. Sydie 25. The Sociology of Sexuality - John DeLamater and Michelle Hasday Part VII: Social Institutions 26. The Sociology of Love, Courtship, and Dating - Erica Owens 27. Marriage and Divorce in the United States - Dennis L. Peck 28. Family Sociology in the 21st Century - Felix M. Berardo and Constance L. Shehan 29. The Sociology of Religion - James William Coleman 30. Political Sociology - W. Lawrence Neuman 31. The Sociology of Education - Theodore C. Wagenaar 32. Economic Sociology - Frank Dobbin 33. Medical Sociology - Frederic W. Hafferty and Brian Castellani 34. The Sociology of Law - Robin Stryker 35. Military Sociology - David R. Segal Part VIII: Societal Problems and Disaffections 36. Social Problems - Harold R. Kerbo and James William Coleman 37. The Sociology of Deviance - Gary F. Jensen 38. Sexual Deviance - Valerie Jenness and Gilbert Geis 39. Criminology - David F. Luckenbill and Kirk Miller 40. The Sociology of Gambling - Bo Jason Bernhard and James H. Frey 41. Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - Paul M. Roman 42. The Sociology of Drug Use - Erich Goode 43. Juvenile Delinquency - Clemens Bartollas 44. The Sociology of Corrections - Richard Tewksbury and Linda G. Smith Part IX: Locality and Social Life 45. Human Ecology - Stephen J. Appold 46. The Sociology of Community - W. Richard Goe and Sean Noonan 47. Rural Sociology - Linda Lobao 48. Urban Sociology in the 21st Century - Saskia Sassen 49. The Sociology of Migration - Zai Liang 50. The Sociology of Development - Cornelia Butler Flora and Jan L. Flora Part X: The Quantification of Social Life 51. Demography - Dudley L. Poston Jr., Michael Micklin, and Amanda K. Baumle 52. The Sociology of Social Indicators - Kenneth C. Land and Abbott L. Ferriss Part XI: Collective Behavior and Social Movements 53. The Sociology of Collective Behavior - Benigno E. Aguirre 54. Social Movements - David S. Meyer and Kelsy Kretschmer 55. Mass Communications - Vincent Mosco Part XII: Society in Motion 56. Social Change - Stephen K. Sanderson 57. Dynamic Systems Theory - Tom R. Burns with Philippe R. DeVille Volume One Notes Volume One References VOLUME TWO: SPECIALTY AND INTERDISCIPLINARY STUDIES Specialty Fields Part I: Nontraditional Perspectives, Theory, and Methodology 1. The Sociology of Nonhuman Animals and Society - Clinton R. Sanders 2. Ethnomethodology and Conversation Analysis - Ilkka Arminen 3. Critical Sociology - David Fasenfest 4. Humanist Sociology - Joseph A. Scimecca 5. Feminist Methodologies and Epistemology - Andrea Doucet and Natasha S. Mauthner 6. Feminist Theories - Roberta Hamilton 7. Quality-of-Life Research - Ruut Veenhoven 8. Visual Sociology - John Grady 9. Mathematical Sociology - Kenneth C. Land and Thomas J. Fararo 10. The Sociology of Risk - R. Scott Frey, Sabrina McCormick, and Eugene A. Rosa Part II: The Sociology of the Self 11. The Sociology of the Body - Bryan S. Turner 12. The Sociology of Disability - Nancy G. Kutner 13. The Sociology of Emotions - Allison K. Wisecup, Dawn T. Robinson, and Lynn Smith-Lovin 14. The Sociology of Femininity - Linda Kalof and Lori Baralt 15. The Sociology of Friendship - Graham Allan and Rebecca G. Adams 16. The Sociology of Men and Masculinity - Jeff Hearn and Michael S. Kimmel Part III: The Sociology of the Life Course 17. The Sociology of Children and Youth - Loretta E. Bass 18. The Sociology of Aging - Andrea E. Willson 19. The Sociology of Death and Dying - Clifton D. Bryant Part IV: The Sociology of Normative Behavior 20. The Sociology of Consumer Behavior - Joel I. Nelson 21. The Sociology of Entertainment - Robert A. Stebbins 22. The Sociology of Food and Eating - Elise S. Lake and Minjoo Oh 23. The Sociology of Leisure and Recreation - Robert A. Stebbins 24. The Sociology of Sport - Peter Donnelly 25. Popular Culture - Joanne Finkelstein and Beryl Langer 26. The Production of Culture Perspective - John Ryan Part V: Creative Behavior 27. The Sociology of Art - Vera L. Zolberg 28. The Sociology of Knowledge - Antony J. Puddephatt and Neil McLaughlin 29. The Sociology of Music - Timothy J. Dowd 30. The Sociology of the Performing Arts - Jean Van Delinder 31. The Sociology of Science and Technology - Trevor Pinch Part VI: Macrolevel Issues 32. The Sociology of Disaster - Gary R. Webb 33. The Sociology of Mental Health - Elaine Wethington 34. Sociobiology - Christopher R. Badcock 35. Technology and the Environment - Thomas J. Burns and Andrew K. Jorgenson 36. Terrorism - Emilio C. Viano 37. The Sociology of Violence - Jack Levin and Gordana Rabrenovic 38. Environmental Sociology - Riley E. Dunlap and Brent K. Marshall Part VII: The Uses of Sociology 39. Applied Sociology - Harry Perlstadt 40. Clinical Sociology - Jan Marie Fritz 41. Evaluation Research - Michael Quinn Patton 42. Sociological Practice - Jerry Krause 43. Teaching and Learning in Sociology: Past, Present, and Future - Kathleen McKinney and Carla B. Howery Derivative Fields 44. Appalachian Studies and the Sociology of Appalachia - Dwight B. Billings 45. Asian and Asian American Studies - Carl L. Bankston III and Danielle Antoinette Hidalgo 46. Criminal Justice Studies - Clemens Bartollas 47. Gay, Lesbian, and Queer Studies - Barry D. Adam 48. Native American Studies - Gerry R. Cox and Jac D. Bulk 49. Victimology - Emilio C. Viano Volume Two Notes Volume Two References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412916080 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- SAGE Reference is proud to announce 21st Century Sociology: A Reference Handbook. The field of sociological inquiry is multi-faceted in perspective, and does subsume a variety of specialty interests, as a result the literature in this discipline has developed and proliferated in a near exponential fashion. Sociology, today, has become so specialty driven in its research and theory agenda that the result is an enormous and complex body of sociological knowledge that is often considered to be unwieldy. 21st Century Sociology provides, in two volumes, a concise forum through which the vast array of knowledge accumulated, particularly during the past three decades, can be organized into a definitive resource. 21st Century Sociology focus on the corpus of knowledge garnered in traditional areas of sociological inquiry, as well as documenting the general orientation of the newer and currently emerging areas of sociological inquiry.Key features include: - a timely and comprehensive assessment of the 100+ specialty fields of sociology with contributions by leading international authorities in their area of expertise; - an examination of the four distinct phases of development in the history of sociological inquiry: a period of theoretical development; the emphasis on methodological development and refinement; the phase of specialization; and a period that has taken representatives of the discipline into previously unexplored areas; - discussion on the various traditional sub-fields of sociology such as: political sociology; educational sociology; rural sociology; criminology; occupational sociology; and minority relations, among others; - an exploration of the important new, evolving sub-fields, such as: environmental sociology; sociology of sports and leisure; military sociology; medical sociology; the sociology of food and eating; and the sociology of emotions, among others; - a discussion on the 'satellite' or 'peripheral' sub-disciplines, such as women's studies, black studies and gay and lesbian studies. 21st Century Sociology is the most comprehensive overview of modern sociology making it a 'must have' resource for any academic library.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412916080 20160528
- Supplemental links
Table of contents only
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Twenty-first century sociology
- 21st century reference series
- "A Sage reference publication."
- 9781412916080 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1412916089 (cloth : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: