Addiction : opposing viewpoints
- San Diego, Calif. : Greenhaven Press, c2005.
- Physical description
- 189 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Opposing viewpoints series (Unnumbered)
- Gerdes, Louise I., 1953-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 184-185) and index.
- Is addiction a serious problem? The Internet is fueling addictions / Brian McCormick
- The threat of Internet addiction is exaggerated / Jacob Sullum
- Nicotine addiction harms society / National Institute on Drug Abuse
- The addictive properties of nicotine are unproven / Dale M. Atrens
- Compulsive gambling is a national concern / Tom Grey
- The dangers of compulsive gambling are exaggerated / Steve Chapman. What factors contribute to addiction? Addiction is a brain disease / Alan I. Leshner
- Addiction is not a disease / Jeffrey A. Schaler
- Marijuana is a gateway to other addictive drugs / Kenneth M. Sunamoto
- Marijuana is not a gateway to other addictive drugs / Mitch Earleywine
- Genetic factors contribute to addiction / Ernest P. Noble
- Genetic and environmental factors contribute to addiction / Judy Shepps Battle. What are the most effective treatments for addiction? Twelve-step programs are an effective treatment for addiction / Krista Conger
- Twelve-step programs are inadequate to treat addiction / Maia Szalavitz
- Spirituality can help those trying to recover from addiction / National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse
- The importance of spirituality in addiction recovery is exaggerated / Kevin Courcey
- Methadone maintenance is an effective treatment for heroin addiction / Sharon Stancliff
- Methadone maintenance programs are abused by heroin addicts / I.E. Hawksworth
- Some problem drinkers can drink in moderation / Sally L. Satel
- Problem drinkers cannot drink in moderation / Mike Harden. How should the government deal with addiction? Internet gambling should be banned / Richard Blumenthal
- Internet gambling should not be banned / Fred E. Foldvary
- Drug laws decrease addiction / John P. Walters
- Drug laws increase addiction / Adam Gifford
- Regulating alcohol advertising will reduce alcohol abuse / Jean Kilbourne
- Regulating alcohol advertising will not reduce alcohol abuse / Advertising Association.
- Publication date
- Louise I. Gerdes, book editor.
- Opposing viewpoints series
- 0737722169 (lib. : alk. paper)
- 0737722177 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780737722161 (lib. : alk. paper)
- 9780737722178 (pbk. : alk. paper)