Teaching and learning science : a handbook
- edited by Kenneth Tobin.
- Westport, Conn. : Praeger Publishers, 2006.
- Physical description
- 2 v. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
Library has: v.1-
|Q181 .T3513 2006 V.1||Unknown|
|Q181 .T3513 2006 V.2||Unknown|
- Tobin, Kenneth George, 1944-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Key Issues in Science Education-- Language and Scientific Literacy-- Home and School Relationships-- Equity-- New Roles for Teachers and Students-- Making Connections with Science-- Resources for Teaching and Learning Science-- Science in the News.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313335730 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- "Teaching and Learning Science" is a two-volume set that consists of 66 chapters written by more than 90 leading educators and scientists. The volumes are informed by cutting-edge theory and research and address numerous issues that are central to school education. These insightful contributions touch on many of the most controversial topics facing science educators and students today, including evolution, testing, homeschooling, ecology, and the achievement gaps faced by girls, ethnic minority children, and English learners. Accessible and full of insight, the set is written for teachers, parents, and students, and offers a wealth of resources suitable for the classroom. The volumes are arranged according to themes that are central to science education: language and scientific literacy, home and school relationships, equity, new roles for teachers and students, connecting science to other areas of the curriculum, resources for teachers and learners, and science in the news. The authors address controversial topics such as evolution, and present alternative ways to think about teaching, learning, the outcomes of science education, and issues associated with testing. In addition, relationships between science and literacy are explored. Chapters also address how to teach contemporary science, including the origin of the chemical elements, the big bang, hurricanes, tornadoes, volcanoes, and tsunamis.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313335730 20160528
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- 0313335737 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780313335730 (set : alk. paper)
- 0313339368 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780313339363 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 0313339376 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 9780313339370 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: