The King and I [videorecording]
- screenplay by Ernest Lehman ; produced by Charles Brackett ; directed by Walter Lang.
- English, Spanish, French. Disc 1: In English, dubbed Spanish, or dubbed French, with English or Spanish subtitles., Disc 2: In English or dubbed Spanish, with English or Spanish subtitles., Disc 1: Closed-captioned.
- 50th anniversary ed.
- Physical description
- 2 videodiscs (ca. 133 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet (unpaged ; 18 cm.)
- Lang, Walter, 1898-1972.
- Kerr, Deborah, 1921-2007.
- Brynner, Yul.
- Moreno, Rita.
- Benson, Martin, 1918-2010.
- Lehman, Ernest, 1915-2005.
- Rodgers, Richard, 1902-1979.
- Hammerstein, Oscar, II, 1895-1960
- Brackett, Charles, 1892-1969.
- Zanuck, Darryl Francis, 1902-1979.
- Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation.
- Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Inc.
- An English governess is hired to teach the King of Siam's children, but ruins the country's traditions during her work.
- Leonowens, Anna Harriette, 1831-1915 > Drama.
- Mongkut, King of Siam, 1804-1868 > Drama.
- Governesses > Thailand > Biography > Drama.
- British > Thailand > History > 19th century > Drama.
- Feature films.
- Musical films.
- Biographical films.
- Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- Thailand > Court and courtiers > History > 19th century > Drama.
- Thailand > Social life and customs > 19th century > Drama.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- IiTitle appeas in credits as: Darryl F. Zanuck presents Rodgers and Hammerstein's The King and I
- Rodgers and Hammerstein's The King and I
- From Rodgers and Hammerstein's musical play based on "Anna and the King of Siam," by Margaret Landon.
- Originally produced as a motion picture in 1956 by Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation.
- Special features: Disc 1: audio commentary by Richard Barrios and Michael Portantiere; exclusive isolated musical score; songs-only option; singalong karaoke subtitles (English) ; Disc 2: "Anna and the King" TV pilot with commentary by Samantha Eggar; featurettes: "Something wonderful: the story of 'The King and I'"; "The Kings of Broadway"; "The King of the big screen"; "'The King and I' stage version"; "'The King and I' the Royal archives"; "Restoring CinemaScope® 55"; vintage stage excerpts: songs "Getting to know you" and "A puzzlement" performed by Broadway stars Patricia Morison and Yul Brynner; stills and audio from deleted number: "Shall I tell you what I think of you?" performed by Deborah Kerr and Marni Nixon; Fox Movietone News including charity premiere and Yul Brynner Oscar® clip.
- Production Credits
- Director of photography, Leon Shamroy; editor, Robert Simpson; music, Richard Rodgers; book and lyrics, Oscar Hammerstein II; choreography, Jerome Robbins.
- Deborah Kerr, Yul Brynner, Rita Moreno, Martin Benson, Terry Saunders, Rex Thompson.
- MPAA rating: G.
- DVD ; Region 1 ; (disc 1) anamorphic widescreen (2.55:1, letterbox) presentation; (disc 1) Dolby Digital 5.0 surround, Dolby Digital stereo., Dolby Digital mono., dual layer, NTSC; (disc 2) Dolby Digital mono., dual layer, NTSC.
- Green Library copy 1: set container title: The Rodgers & Hammerstein collection.
- Related Work
- Landon, Margaret, 1903-1993. Anna and the King of Siam.
- Publisher Number
- 2239102 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
Browse related items
Start at call number: