Feminist research practice : a primer
- Sharlene Nagy Hesse-Biber, Patricia Lina Leavy.
- Thousand Oaks, CA : Sage Publications, c2007.
- Physical description
- xix, 371 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgments Preface About the Authors About the Chapter Contributors About the Behind-the-Scenes Contributors 1. An Invitation to Feminist Research, by Abigail Brooks and Sharlene Nagy Hesse-Biber Part I: Feminist Approaches to Epistemology and Theory 2. Feminist Empiricism: Challenging Gender Bias and "Setting the Record Straight, " by Denise Leckenby 3. Feminist Standpoint Epistemology: Building Knowledge and Empowerment Through Women's Lived Experience, by Abigail Brooks 4. Feminist Postmodernism and Poststructuralism, by Patricia Lina Leavy Part II: Feminist Approaches to Research Methods and Methodology 5. The Practice of Feminist In-Depth Interviewing, by Sharlene Nagy Hesse-Biber 6. The Practice of Feminist Oral History and Focus Group Interviews, by Patricia Lina Leavy 7. The Feminist Practice of Ethnography, by Elana D. Buch and Karen M. Staller 8. The Feminist Practice of Content Analysis, by Patricia Lina Leavy 9. Feminist Approaches to Mixed-Methods Research, by Denise Leckenby and Sharlene Nagy Hesse-Biber 10. Feminist Survey Research, by Kathi Miner-Rubino and Toby Epstein Jayaratne - Antoinette Errante, Lisa Cosgrove, Dana Jack Crowley, Diana E. H. Russel, Kristin L. Anderson, Maxine Birch, Sandra Harding, Suheyla Kirca Schroeder, Lisa Dodson, Patti Lather, Deborah Piatelli, Judith Preissle, Leah Schmalzbauer Part III: Feminist Praxis 11. Putting It Together: Feminist Research Praxis, by Sharlene Nagy Hesse-Biber Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780761928928 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- 'This volume accomplishes a great deal, combing theory and practice, abstract concepts and realistic, workable suggestions. Many of the studies and stories are fascinating as well as valuable research paradigms' - "Contemporary Psychology". The topic of feminist research has frequently been neglected in standard research methods books. The purpose of this Primer is to invite students to explore the range of feminist perspectives, including feminist empiricist, feminist standpoint, and postmodern perspectives in order to bridge the divide between theory and research methods. This text provides a unique 'hands-on' approach to research by providing exercises and 'behind the scenes' glimpses of feminist researchers at work. The in-depth examples cover the range of research questions that feminists engage with, including issues of gender inequality, violence against women, body image issues, and the discrimination of 'other/ed' marginalized groups. The Primer is written in a clear, concise manner that offers students the opportunity to explore and practice a wide range of research, from ethnography, oral history, focus groups, and content analysis to interviewing and survey research. A full chapter is devoted to feminist approaches to mixed methods research. "Feminist Research Practice: A Primer" is committed to the idea that research methods are best understood utilizing a 'hands-on' pedagogy. Research tips and checklists are provided along the way for the students the researcher.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780761928928 20160528
- Publication date
- 076192891X (cloth)
- 9780761928911 (cloth)
- 0761928928 (pbk.)
- 9780761928928 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: