Hitler Youth : growing up in Hitler's shadow
- Bartoletti, Susan Campbell.
- New York : Scholastic Nonfiction, c2005.
- Physical description
- 176 p. : ill., maps ; 27 cm.
DD253.5 .B37 2005
Checked out - Overdue
DD253.5 .B37 2005
- Unavailable DD253.5 .B37 2005
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 169-173) and index.
- The bloody handprint: The murder of Herbert Norkus
- "For the flag we are ready to die": Hitler's rise to power
- "The brown pest": Organizing the Hitler youth
- "Where one burns books": A Nazi education
- "This thing about the Jews": Nazi persecution of the Jews
- "Muscle-tearing hard work": Preparing for war
- "Body and soul": The German war machine
- "Serving a mass murderer": The Holocaust begins
- "Long live freedom!": Hitler youth and resistance
- "Fanatical fighters": Hitler's boy soldiers, 1943-1945
- "I could not help but cry."
- Publisher's Summary
- Through interviews with surviving Hitler Youth members as well as those who resisted the movement, explores how Hitler gained the loyalty, trust, and passion of so many of Germany's young people that by the time he became Chancellor of Germany in 1933, 3.5 million children belonged to the Hitler Youth.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Publisher description
- Hitler-Jugend > Juvenile literature.
- National socialism and youth > Juvenile literature.
- Jewish youth > Germany > History > 20th century > Juvenile literature.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) > Germany > Juvenile literature.
- Jewish children in the Holocaust > Juvenile literature.
- National socialism and youth.
- Jewish youth > Germany > History > 20th century.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) > Germany.
- Jewish children in the Holocaust.
- Newbery Honor Books, 2006
- Notable Children's Books, 2006
- Juvenile materials.
- Publication date
- Susan Campbell Bartoletti.