Empires of medieval West Africa : Ghana, Mali, and Songhay
- David C. Conrad.
- New York : Facts On File, c2005.
- Physical description
- 128 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Great empires of the past.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|DT532 .C66 2005||Unknown|
- Conrad, David C.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 121-123) and index.
- 1: History
- The Ghana Empire
- The Mali Empire
- The Songhay Empire
- 2: Society and culture
- The Soninke people of the Ghana Empire
- The Mande people of the Mali Empire
- The Songhay people.
- Publisher's Summary
- Drawing on a rich oral tradition, numerous trips to the region, and the latest scholarship available on this important but little-studied era, scholar and author David Conrad explores the people, places, and ideas that made up this trio of empires. Connections to life today include the continuing impact of Islam and tribal groups in Africa, and the influence of the medieval traditions on modern music and cuisine.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780816055623 20160528
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Soninke (African people) > History > Juvenile literature.
- Mandingo (African people) > History > Juvenile literature.
- Ethnology > Africa, West > History > Juvenile literature.
- Ghana (Empire) > History > Juvenile literature.
- Mali (Empire) > History > Juvenile literature.
- Songhai Empire > History > Juvenile literature.
- Africa, West > History > To 1884 > Juvenile literature.
- Africa > History > To 1498 > Juvenile literature.
- Local subject
- Children's Africana Book Awards, 2006
- Publication date
- Great empires of the past
- 0816055629 (acid-free paper)
- 9780816055623 (acid-free paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: