International handbook of virtual learning environments
- edited by Joel Weiss ... [et al.] .
- Dordrecht ; [New York] : Springer, 2006.
- Physical description
- 2 v. (xxxv, 1615 p. ) ; 25 cm.
- Springer international handbooks of education ; v. 14.
Education Library (Cubberley)
Library has: v.1-
|LB1028.5 .I557 2006 V.1||Unknown|
|LB1028.5 .I557 2006 V.2||Unknown|
- Weiss, Joël.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- I Foundations of Virtual Learning Environments.1 Rethinking the Virtual-- N.C. Burbules. 2 A History of E-learning: Shift Happened-- L. Harasim 3 Towards Philosophy of Technology in Education: Mapping the Field-- M. Peters 4 A Cyborg Manifesto: Science, Technology, and Socialist-Feminism in the Late 20th Century-- D. Haraway 5 Teaching and Transformation: Donna Haraway's "A Manifesto for Cyborgs" and Its Influence in Computer-Supported Composition Classrooms-- E. Smith and C.L. Selfe 6 The Political Economy of the Internet: Contesting Capitalism, the Spirit of Informationalism, and Virtual Learning Environments-- J. Hunsinger 7 The Influence of ASCII on the Construction of Internet-Based Knowledge-- J. Nolan 8 Interaction, Collusion, and the Human--Machine Interface-- M. Ito, S. Arnold 9 Technological Transformation, Multiple Literacies, and the Re-visioning of Education-- D. Kellner 10 Cyberpedagogy-- C. Luke 11 Re-situating Constructionism-- J.W. Maxwell II Schooling, Professional Learning and Knowledge Management.12 Realizing the Internet's Educational Potential-- J.W. Schofield 13 Virtual Schools: Reflections on Key Issues-- G. Russell 14 Time, Space, and Virtuality: The Role of Virtual Learning Environments in Time and Spatial Structuring-- R.S. Brown and J. Weiss 15 Motivational Perspectives on Students' Responses to Learning in Virtual Learning Environments-- M. Ainley and C. Armatas 16 User Adaptation in Supporting Exploration Tasks in Virtual Learning Environments-- Kinshuk, T. Lin and A. Patel 17 Collaborative Text-Based Virtual Learning Environments-- R.J. Robbins-Sponaas and J. Nolan 18 Designing Virtual Learning Environments for Academic Language Development-- E. Skourtou, V. Kourtis-Kazoullis and J. Cummins 19 Inclusive E-learning-- J. Treviranus and V. Roberts 20 Displacing Student--Teacher Equilibrium in Virtual Learning Environments-- J. Black 21 Rural South African Teachers "Move Home" in an Online Ecology-- E. Henning 22 Virtual Communities of Practice-- K. Hibbert and S. Rich 23 Reluctant Internet Intellectuals: Challenging the Public and Professional Value of Research in Teacher Virtual Learning Environments (VLEs)-- L. Korteweg and J. Mitchell 24 On Higher Education-- B. Pauling 25 Technology and Culture in Online Education: Critical Reflections on a Decade of Distance Learning-- T.W. Luke 26 A Global Perspective on Political Definitions of E-learning: Commonalities and Differences in National Educational Technology Strategy Discourses-- Y. Zhao, J. Lei, and P.F. Conway 27 An Overview of Virtual Learning Environments in the Asia-Pacific: Provisos, Issues, and Tensions-- D. Hung, D.-T. Chen, and A.F.L. Wong 28 Global Online Education-- S. McCarty, B. Ibrahim, B. Sedunov, and R. Sharma 29 Global Virtual Organizations for Online Educator Empowerment-- N. Bowskill, R. Luke and S. McCarty 30 An Online Journal as a Virtual Learning Environment: The Case of the Teachers College Record-- G. Natriello and M. Rennick 31 Professional Development & Knowledge Management via Virtual Spaces-- N. Hara and R. Kling III Out-Of-School Virtual Learning Environments. 32 Cemeteries, Oak Trees, and Black and White Cows: Newcomers' Understandings of the Networked World-- V.L. O'Day, M. Ito, A. Adler, C. Linde, and E.D. Mynatt 33 The eLibrary and Learning-- P. Brophy 34 Beyond Museum Walls: An Exploration of the Origins and Futures of Web-Based, Museum Education Outreach-- K. Sumption 35 Genealogical Education: Finding Internet-Based Educational Content for Hobbyist Genealogists-- K. Veale 36 Downtime on the Net: The Rise of Virtual Leisure Industries-- J. Cook 37 Education, Gaming, and Serious Play-- S. De Castell and J. Jenson 38 E-learning Environments for Health Care: Advantages, Risks, and Implications-- M. Murero 39 E-Democracy: Media-Liminal Space in the Era of Age Compression-- M. Balnaves, L. Walsh, and B. Shoesmith 40 SonicMemorial.org--The Virtual Memorial as a Vehicle for Rethinking Virtual Learning Environments-- M. Shepard 41 "Why don't We Trade Places ... ": Some Issues Relevant for the Analysis of Diasporic Web Communities as Learning Spaces-- V. Nincic 42 Exploring the Production of Race Through Virtual Learning Environments-- M. Altman and R. Gajjala 43 Engaging the Disney Effect: The Cultural Production of Escapism and Utopia in Media-- P. P. Trifonas 44 "A Small World After All": L.M. Montgomery's Imagined Avonlea as Virtual Landscape-- B. Lefebvre 45 Slash Fiction/FanFict-- R. Mazar 46 A Critical Eye for the Queer Text: Reading and Writing Slash Fiction on (the) Line-- R. Bury IV Challenges for Virtual Learning Environments.47 Chromosoft Mirrors-- J. Noon 48 Net: Geography Fieldwork Frequently Asked Questions-- M. Dodge and R. Kitchin 49 Hacktivism: The How and Why of Activism for the Digital Age-- M. Levesque 50 Weblogs and Collaborative Web Publishing as Learning Spaces-- A.C. Halavais 51 Procedural Discourse Networks: Weblogs, Self-organizations and Successive Models for Academic Peer Review-- B. Barr 52 Wikis: Collaborative Virtual Learning Environments-- N. Augar, R. Raitman, and W. Zhou 53 Partying Like it's 1999: On the Napsterization of Cultural Artifacts Via Peer-to-Peer Networks-- J. Logie 54 Virtual Harlem as a Collaborative Learning Environment: A Project of the University of Illinois at Chicago's Electronic Visualization Lab-- J. Sosnoski, S. Jones, B. Carter, K. Mcallister, R. Moeller, and R. Mir 55 Video-as-Data and Digital Video Manipulation Techniques for Transforming Learning Sciences Research, Education, and Other Cultural Practices-- R.D. Pea 56 ePresence Interactive Media and Webforum 2001: An Accidental Case Study on the Use of Webcasting as a VLE for Early Child Development-- A. Zijdemans, G. Moore, R. Baecker, and D.P. Keating 57 Networked Scholarship-- B. Wellman, E. Koku and J. Hunsinger 58 Analysis of Log File Data to Understand Behavior and Learning in an Online Community-- A. Bruckman 59 Reconstructing the Fables: Women on the Educational Cyberfrontier-- J.S. Dwight, M. Boler, and P. Sears 60 (Inorganic) Community Design Models and the Place of (In)appropriate Technology in International Development--What if More Than "Half the World" Wants Internet Access?-- J. Dicum 61 Broadband Technologies, Techno-Optimism and the "Hopeful" Citizen-- M. Allen 62 The Matrix, or, the Two Sides of Perversion-- S. Zizek 63 Learning by Being: Thirty Years of Cyborg Existemology-- S. Mann.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Three issues are explored and used as organizers for "The International Handbook of Virtual Learning Environments". First, a distinction is made between virtual learning and learning virtually. Second, since the focus is on learning, an educational framework is developed as a means of bringing coherence to the available literature. Third, learning is defined broadly as a process of knowledge creation for transforming experience to reflect different facets of "the curriculum of life". The handbook is divided into four sections: Foundations of Virtual Learning Environments; Schooling, Professional Learning and Knowledge Management; Out-of-School Learning Environments; and Challenges for Virtual Learning Environments. A variety of chapters representing different academic and professional fields are included. These chapters cover topics ranging from philosophical perspectives, historical, sociological, political and educational analyses, case studies from practical and research settings, as well as several provocative 'classics' originally published in other settings.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Publisher description
- Publication date
- SIHE ; v. 14
- 140203802X (set : alk. paper)
- 9781402038020 (set : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: