Oxford illustrated encyclopedia
- general editor, Harry Judge ; executive editor, Anthony Toyne.
- Oxford [Oxfordshire] ; New York : Oxford University Press, c1985-
- Physical description
- v. ; 29 cm.
- v. 1. The physical world / volume editor: Sir Vivian Fuchs ; consultant editor W. G. Richards
- v. 2. The natural world / volume editor: Malcolm Coe ; Consultant editor Sir Richard Doll
- v. 3. World history, from earliest times to 1800 /volume editor: Harry Judge
- v. 4. World history, from 1800 to the present day / volume editor: Robert Blake
- v. 6. Invention and technology / volume editor: Sir Monty Finniston
- v. 8. Oxford illustrated encyclopedia of the Universe / volume editor Archie Roy.
- Publisher's Summary
- Describing in a quarter of a million words not only all the major geographical features but also the earth's formation and the laws that govern it, the 2,500 entries range from elementary particles and the electronic configuration of atoms to the physical geography of the USA. Chemistry, geodesy, geology, geomorphology, mathematics, metereology, oceanography, physical geography, and physics are all covered, and there are biographical entries for all the most significant explorers, geographers, and physical scientists. The book is intended for the non-specialist, but for students seeking to pursue particular subjects there is a selective system of cross-references together with informative captions to the illustrations, nearly 200 of which are in full colour.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198691297 20160527
- Beginning date
- 0198691297 (v. 1) : $16.95
- 9780198691297 (v. 1)
Browse related items
Start at call number: