The eloquence of Mary Astell
- Christine Mason Sutherland.
- Calgary : University of Calgary Press, c2005.
- Physical description
- xxi, 202 p. : port. ; 23 cm.
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|HQ1595 .A88 S87 2005||Unknown|
- Sutherland, Christine Mason.
- Includes bibliographical references: p. 171-177.
- Part I
- Mary Astell's Context-- Part II
- Mary Astell's Rhetorical Practice-- Pat III
- Mary Astell's Rhetorical Theory.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Practically ignored for over 200 years, Mary Astell's writing returned to prominence in the latter part of the 20th century in a celebrated biography by Ruth Perry. Self-educated, Astell was an avid political thinker, philosopher, educationalist and early feminist. Until recently, little attention has been paid to her importance and skill in rhetoric, where she is known as both a practitioner and theorist. Her work is remarkable for an intellectual depth that does not comprise accessibility and for a style that is forcefully persuasive yet grounded in the rhythms of conversation. Widely respected for her participation in public discourse on politics and philosophy, she was well ahead of her time in the development of the rhetoric of care, an approach later echoed by 20th century feminists in their battle for equality. Drawing inspiration both from ancient theories and models and from early enlightenment philosophy, Astell's thought has a timelessness that allows her to instruct and inspire us all.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Astell, Mary, 1666-1731 > Literary art.
- Astell, Mary, 1666-1731 > Political and social views.
- Astell, Mary, 1668-1731 > Style.
- Astell, Mary, 1668-1731 > Pensée politique et social.
- Women > Education (Higher) > Great Britain > History > 18th century.
- Feminism > Great Britain > History > 18th century.
- Femmes > Enseignement supérieur > Grande-Bretagne > Histoire > 18e siècle.
- Féminisme > Grande-Bretagne > Histoire > 18e siècle.
- Publication date
- Includes index.
- 1552381536 : $44.95
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: