Neutron stars 1 : equation of state and structure
- P. Haensel, A.Y. Potekhin, and D.G. Yakovlev.
- New York, N.Y. : Springer, 2007.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 619 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Astrophysics and space science library ; v. 326.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 543-595) and index.
- Overview.- Equilibrium Plasma Properties Outer Envelopes.- Structure and EOS of Neutron Star Crusts.- Envelopes with Strong Magnetic Fields.- Neutron Star Cores: Nucleons and Hyperons.- Neutron Star Structure.- Neutron Stars with Exotic Cores.- Strange Matter and Strange Stars.- Theory Versus Observations.- Appendices.- Bibliography.- List of Symbols.- List of Abbreviations.- Subject Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780387335438 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The book gives an extended review of theoretical and observational aspects of neutron star physics. With masses comparable to that of the Sun and radii of about ten kilometres, neutron stars are the densest stars in the Universe. This book describes all layers of neutron stars, from the surface to the core, with the emphasis on their structure and equation of state. Theories of dense matter are reviewed, and used to construct neutron star models. Hypothetical strange quark stars and possible exotic phases in neutron star cores are also discussed. Also covered are the effects of strong magnetic fields in neutron star envelopes and a comparison on neutron star models with observations.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780387335438 20160528
- Neutron stars.
- Publication date
- Astrophysics and space science library ; v. 326
Browse related items
Start at call number: