Work and integrity : the crisis and promise of professionalism in America
- William M. Sullivan ; foreword by Lee S. Shulman.
- 2nd ed.
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, c2005.
- Physical description
- xvii, 327 p. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|BJ1725 .S85 2005||Unknown|
- Sullivan, William M.
- Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword. About the Author. Introduction: The Crisis and Promise of Professionalism. 1. Professionalism. 2. The Evolution of the Professions: From Professions of Office to the Organizational Professions. 3. A Metropolitan Maturity: The Progressives' Struggle for a Civic Professionalism. 4. No Center to Hold: The Era of Expertise . 5. Reinventing Professionalism. 6. Renewing Professional Education. 7. What Is Professional Knowledge? Expertise and the University. 8. Confronting Moral Ambiguity: The Struggle for Professional Ethics. Conclusion: Experts and Citizens. Notes. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "Work and Integrity" is a timely resource that examines the crisis as well as the promise of professionalism in contemporary society. This vital book argues for the importance of a new civic professionalism that reflects the ideals of democracy and public service in our ever more complex economic environment. A publication of The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, "Work and Integrity" explores the most current thinking on the various (and often conflicting) ways in which the concept of professional work is understood. Using examples from the United States and Europe, the author describes how the professions evolved from a limited kind of genteel occupation into one of the most widely emulated and sought--after models of work. The book also explores the rise of complex institutions of industrial and postindustrial society, especially the university and the bureaucratic structures of business, government, health care, and education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- "'Work and integrity' draws on rhe Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching's Preparation for the Professions Program, a comparative study of professional education in medicine, nursing, law, engineering, and the preparation of the clergy"--P. [iii]
Browse related items
Start at call number: