The Praeger handbook of Latino education in the U.S.
- Westport, Conn. : Praeger, 2007.
- Physical description
- 2 v. (xxvi, 605 p.,  p. of plates) : ill., maps ; 27 cm.
LC2669 .P73 2007 V.1
LC2669 .P73 2007 V.2
- In-library use LC2669 .P73 2007 V.1
- Library has: v.1-
- Library has: v.1-
- Soto, Lourdes Diaz, 1945-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Latinos in the United States have fought hard throughout the twentieth century to consciously make history. Despite the fact that their efforts may have been largely unnoted in the records of the U.S. mainstream, many of their activities have been focused on attaining equality, especially in the field of education. "The Praeger Handbook of Latino Education in the U.S." fills that gap and represents a significant addition to American educational literature. The contributors to this volume reveal that many Latino children still face challenges that were present many decades ago. Besides obstacles such as cultural conflicts and racism, they also face teachers, curricula, and assessments that are not always respectful to their backgrounds. Three major questions form the framework for this landmark work: How can schools address issues of educational equity for Latino students in the U.S.? How can curriculum address the needs of these students? How can scholars, community activists, and parents collaborate for the benefit of Latino learners in the U.S.? Educators, parents, policy makers, grants seekers, and foundations will find this work a goldmine of detailed historical and current information.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- edited by Lourdes Diaz Soto ; foreword by Antonia Darder.
- 0313328331 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780313328336 (set : alk. paper)
- 0313338299 (vol 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780313338298 (vol 1 : alk. paper)
- 0313338302 (vol 2 : alk. paper)
- 9780313338304 (vol 2 : alk. paper)