Youth activism : an international encyclopedia
- Lonnie R. Sherrod, editor.
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2006.
- Physical description
- 2 v. (xxiii, 759 p.) : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Sherrod, Lonnie R.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -732) and index.
- Preface-- Acknowledgements-- Introductory Essays-- Guide to Related Topics-- Youth Activism: An Encyclopedia (A-Z)-- List of Editors and Contributors-- List of Useful Organizations-- Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Psychologists, educators, and youth specialists write on the diverse forms of civic participation by youth. Democratic societies need citizens who are informed, concerned and active. How such citizens develop from children into adults is crucial information for educators, psychologists, young people, parents, politicians and many others. This two-volume set brings an understanding to the disparate activist youth groups internationally as well as the interdisciplinary research that explores this phenomenon. With 185 entries, from chatrooms to grassroots movements, from gangs and politics to Riot Grris and Campus Crusade for Christ, this authoritative source lends insight and explanation to the history as well as contemporary forms of youth commitment today. First-person accounts from today's youth activists as well as adult activists illuminate the journey from young idealism to lifelong activist work. The major categories that frame this work are advocacy for social causes; adolescent and youth development; education; historical examples; media and Internet influence and use; national examples of activism and social movement; organisations and programs; political context; positive youth development; social background factors, e.g., economic class, race, ethnicity, gender and culture; social relationships and networks; voices of activism; and youth culture.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
- 0313328110 (set : alk. paper)
- 0313328129 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 0313328137 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 9780313328114 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780313328121 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780313328138 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: