Speaking about science : a manual for creating clear presentations
- Morgan, Scott, 1961-
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- Physical description
- x, 126 p. : col. ill. ; 23 cm.
- Whitener, Barrett, 1960-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction-- 1. The basic problem with oral presentations - and its solution: writing vs. speaking, presentation structure: the hour glass format-- 2. The first steps of preparation: finding the take home message, identifying the main question-- 3. Selecting helpful images: the 'money slide', supporting slides, good slide, bad slide-- 4. Beginning and ending the presentation: common ground, the place to start, the complete introduction, danger: introductory slides ahead, wrapping it up-- 5. Titling the talk-- 6. Delivery: stage fright, teaching vs. lecturing, three steps for presenting data, the mechanics of being heard, accents and mannerisms, what to rehearse-- 7. Fielding questions: laying the groundwork for Q & A, Q & A basics, worst-case scenarios-- 8. The job interview: what they will ask, radio science-- 9. The media interview: the basics, getting ready, television interviews, follow-up-- 10. Making clear posters: organizing a poster, conducting the session-- 11. In closing-- Appendices.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- A practical manual aimed at graduate students, junior researchers, nervous professionals, or clinicians who are preparing to present talks at meetings and academic conferences. This is an important career skill for anyone in the sciences, and the book features step-by-step instruction for creating clear and compelling presentations - from structuring a talk and developing effective Powerpoint slides, through delivery before an audience. Includes color examples of slides and posters from actual presentations, and field-tested methods for success behind the podium. Also contains tips on answering questions and strategies for handling media and job interviews. The authors are professional public speakers who teach presentation skills to scientists and medical researchers at the National Institutes of Health and in the private sector.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Table of contents
- Publication date
- Scott Morgan, Barrett Whitener.
- 0521866812 (hardback)
- 0521683459 (pbk.)