William L. Crosten papers, 1952-2001
- Physical description
- .5 linear foot
- Crosten, William L. (William Loran), 1909-2001.
- Finding aid
- Finding aid available on line
- Collection includes biographical materials; several typescript articles; lecture notes; assorted programs, clippings, and press releases on Stanford performances; and notes, lists, and typescript histories of Stanford's music department and programs.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Gift of Mary P. Crosten, 2004-2006.
- William Loran Crosten established the Stanford Music Department and served as its chair from 1947 to 1973 when he retired. He earned his doctorate in musicology from Columbia University in 1946; as a scholar he specialized in opera history and aesthetics.