International handbook of higher education
- James J.F. Forest, Philip G. Altbach (eds.).
- Dordrecht : Springer, 2006.
- Physical description
- 2 v. ; 24 cm.
- Springer international handbooks of education ; v. 18.
Education Library (Cubberley)
- Library has: pt.1-
LB2322.2 .I57 2006 PT.1
LB2322.2 .I57 2006 PT.2
- Library has: pt.1-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- PART ONE: GLOBAL THEMES AND CONTEMPORARY CHALLENGES Acknowledgments 1 Introduction Philip G. Altbach and James J. F. Forest 2 The Academic Profession Jurgen Enders 3 Accountability and Quality Assurance: New Issues for Academic Inquiry Elaine El-Khawas 4 Curricula in International Perspective Lisa R. Lattuca 5 Doctoral Education: Present Realities and Future Trends Philip G. Altbach 6 Higher Education Finance: Trends and Issues Arthur M. Hauptman 7 For-Profit Higher Education: U.S. Tendencies, International Echoes Kevin Kinser and Daniel C. Levy 8 Globalization and the University: Realities in an Unequal World Philip G. Altbach 9 Governance and Administration: Organizational and Structural Trends Barbara Sporn 10 History of Universities Harold Perkin 11 Internationalization: Concepts, Complexities and Challenges Jane Knight 12 Higher Education Management: Challenges and Strategies George Keller 13 Reflections on the Transition from Elite to Mass to Universal Access: Forms and Phases of Higher Education in Modern Societies since WWII Martin Trow 14 The Private Fit in the Higher Education Landscape Daniel C. Levy 15 Beyond Private Gain: The Public Benefits of Higher Education David E. Bloom, Matthew Hartley, and Henry Rosovsky 16 Research and Scholarship Grant Harman 17 Student Politics: Activism and Culture Philip G. Altbach 18 Teaching and Learning in Higher Education James J. F. Forest 19 Rhetoric or Reality? Technology in Borderless Higher Education Svava Bjarnason About the Editors About the Contributors PART TWO: REGIONS AND COUNTRIES Preface to Volume Two SECTION 1REGIONAL PERSPECTIVES 20 Higher Education in the Arab World Linda Herrera 21 Higher Education in Central and Eastern Europe Peter Scott 22 Higher Education in Developing Countries David E. Bloom and Henry Rosovsky 23 European Integration in Higher Education: The Bologna Process Towards a European Higher Education Area Hans de Wit 24 Higher Education in French-Speaking Sub-Saharan Africa Juma Shabani 25 Latin American University Transformation of the 1990s: Altered Identities? Marcela Mollis 26 Higher Education in Scandinavia Evanthia Kalpazidou Schmidt 27 Higher Education in Southeast Asia in the Era of Globalization Molly N.N. Lee 28 Higher Education in Sub-Saharan Africa Damtew Teferra SECTION 2 NATIONAL PERSPECTIVES 29 Argentina Ana M. Garcia de Fanelli 30 Australia Simon Marginson 31 Brazil Simon Schwartzman 32 Canada Glen A. Jones 33 Chili Jose Joaquin Brunner and Anthony Tillett 34 China Ruth Hayhoe and Qiang Zha 35 Egypt Iman Farag 36 France Christine Musselin 37 Germany Barbara M. Kehm 38 India N. Jayaram 39 Indonesia M. K. Tadjudin 40 Iran Abbas Bazargan 41 Israel Yaacov Iram 42 Italy Roberto Moscati 43 Japan Akiyoshi Yonezawa 44 Kenya Charles K. Ngome 45 Korea Namgi Park 46 Mexico Hugo Casanova-Cardiel 47 The Netherlands Egbert de Weert 48 Nigeria Munzali Jibril 49 Poland Wojciech Duczmal 50 Russia Anna Smolentseva 51 South Africa Chika Trevor Sehoole 52 Spain Jose-Gines Mora 53 Turkey Hasan Simsek 54 United Kingdom Michael Shattock 55 United States Peter D. Eckel and Jacqueline E. King About the Editors About the Contributors Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This publication provides a central, authoritative reference source on the most essential topics of higher education. "The International Handbook of Higher Education" combines a rich diversity of scholarly perspectives with a wide range of internationally derived descriptions and analyses. Chapters in the first volume cover central themes in the study of higher education, while contributors to the second volume focus on contemporary higher education issues within specific countries or regions. Together, these volumes provide a centralized, easily accessible, yet scholarly source of information. Research scholars and graduate level students in higher education and related fields will find the Handbook useful for advancing their exploration of these central issues, while policymakers and academic administrators will find the thoughtful essays on a particular topic useful for decision-making. Overall, this Handbook provides a centralized collection of scholarship on an essential worldwide social institution.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Springer international handbooks of education ; v. 18
- 1402040113 (2-v. set : hd. bd.)
- 1402040121 (e-book)
- 9781402040115 (2-v. set : hd. bd.)
- 9781402040122 (e-book)