- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Sage, c2005.
- Physical description
- xii, 350 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface The Promise of Media Anthropology - Mihai Coman, University of Bucharest and Eric W. Rothenbuhler, Texas A&M University PART I: HISTORIES AND DEBATES Media Anthropology, An Introduction - Faye Ginsberg, New York University The Profanity of the Media - Mark Hobart, University of London Proposal for Mass Media Anthropology - Francisco Osorio, University of Chile Cultural Anthropology and Mass Media: A Processual Approach - Mihai Coman, University of Bucharest PART II: CONCEPTS AND METHODS Media Rituals: Beyond Functionalism - Nick Couldry, The London School of Economics and Political Science Ritual Media: Historical Perspectives and Social Functions - Pascal Lardellier, Universite de Bourgogne, France The Emergence of Religious Forms in Television - Gunter Thomas, Universitat Heidelberg The Church of the Cult of the Individual - Eric Rothenbuhler, Texas A&M University News as Myth: Daily News and Eternal Stories - Jack Lule, Lehigh University News Stories and Myth - the Impossible Reunion? - Mihai Coman, University of Bucharest News as Stories - Michael Schudson, University of Calfornia at San Diego Performing Media: Toward an Ethnography of Intertextuality - Mark Peterson, Miami University Audience Ethnographies: A Media Engagement Approach - Antonio La Pastina, Texas A&M University Picturing Practices: Visual Anthropology and Media Ethnography - Graham Murdock and Sarah Pink PART III: EVENTS, STORIES, ACTIVITIES The Pope's Visit to Reunion Island - Daniel Dayan, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Ground Zero, the Firemen, and the Symbolics of Touch on 9/11 and After - Eric W. Rothenbuhler, Texas A&M University Myths to the Rescue: How Live Television Intervenes in History - Tamar Liebes and Menahem Blondheim, Hebrew University of Jersusalem Finding Aids to the Past: Bearing Personal Witness to Traumatic Public Events - Barbie Zelizer, Annenberg School for Communications, University of Pennsylvania Telling What-a-Story News Through Myth and Ritual: The Middle East as Wild West - Daniel Berkowitz, University of Iowa CJ's Revenge: A Case Study of News as Cultural Narrative - S. Elizabeth Bird, University of South Florida Ritualized Play, Art, and Communication on Internet Relay Chat - Brenda Danet, Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Emerita) and Yale University Religion and Meaning in the Digital Age: Field Research on Internet/Web Religion - Stewart M. Hoover and Jin Kyu Park, University of Colorado Weaving Trickster: Myth and Tribal Encounters on the World Wide Web - Anita Hammer, University of Oslo The Mass Media and the Transformation of Collective Identity: Quebec and Israel - Dov Shinar, Ben Gurion University of the Negev PART IV: THEORY INTO PRACTICE Media Anthropology: A Reflection and a New Media - Susan Allen, Kansas State University Speaking with the Sources: Science Writes and Anthropologists - Merry Bruns, Center for Anthropology and Science Communications The Journalist as Enthnographer? How Anthropology can Enrich Journalistic Practice - S. Elizabeth Bird, University of South Florida Journalism Education and Practice - Gerd Kopper, University of Dortmund The Public Sphere: Linking the Media and Civic Cultures - Peter Dahlgren, Lund University About the Authors Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This is a state-of-the-art overview of anthropological approaches to the study of media. An international team of contributors identify the major concepts, methods and bibliography involved and provide examples of current research. Together they introduce the issues, review the field and forge new conceptual syntheses. The book contains a 'Theory into Practice' section that shows how anthropological concepts and methods can improve the teaching and practice of media and journalism studies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
- editors Eric W. Rothenbuhler, Mihai Coman.
- 14129555X (cloth)
- 1412906709 (pbk.)
- 9781412906708 (pbk. : alk. paper)