The Greenwood encyclopedia of world folklore and folklife
- edited by William M. Clements ; Thomas A. Green, advisory editor.
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2006.
- Physical description
- 4 v. : ill., maps ; 29 cm.
- Clements, William M., 1945-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Volume 1: Topics and Themes, Africa, Australia and Oceania-- * Volume 2: Southeast Asia and India, Central and East Asia, Middle East-- * Volume 3: Europe-- * Volume 4: North and South America.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313328473 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This is an authoritative review of folklore from around the world. China...Malta...Madagascar...Wales...and Texas: these are among the many lands, familiar or exotic and distant, that capture our minds and imaginations. And in an era of increasing globalization, students, general readers, and business professionals need to know about the world and its varied ways. So too, a knowledge of world cultures is fundamental to an understanding of increasingly ethnically rich societies. Folklore is not just about the long ago and far away. It's about the here and now, and there is no better way to learn about cultural diversity than to study the folklore and folkways of different ethnic groups. More than just Cinderella and other fairy tales, folklore encompasses the whole realm of traditional beliefs and activities that define a culture. The most comprehensive work of its kind, this encyclopedia engagingly and authoritatively surveys folklife and traditions from around the world. Through its scope and substantial entries, it transcends other references on particular national or regional folklores and is the most ambitious undertaking of its type. It includes some 200 substantial entries written by around 200 expert contributors, provides overview essays on topics and themes central to world folklore, and comprehensively examines folklore and folkways from around the world. The volumes conveniently look at major geographical and cultural regions, and the entries offer detailed examinations of belief systems, traditional sports and games, and folk art.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313328473 20160528
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
- 0313328471 (set : alk. paper)
- 031332848X (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 0313328498 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 0313328501 (v. 3 : alk. paper)
- 031332851X (v. 4 : alk. paper)
- 9780313328473 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780313328480 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780313328497 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 9780313328503 (v. 3 : alk. paper)
- 9780313328510 (v. 4 : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: