Spectral methods : fundamentals in single domains
- C. Canuto ... [et al.].
- Berlin ; New York : Springer, c2006.
- Physical description
- xxii, 563 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
- Scientific computation.
Engineering Library (Terman)
|QA377 .S64 2006||Unknown|
- Canuto, C.
- Introduction.- Polynomial Approximation.- Basic Approaches to Constructing Spectral Methods.- Algebraic Systems and Solution Techniques.- Basic Approaches to Constructing Spectral Methods.- Algebraic Systems and Solution Techniques.- Global Approximation Results.- Theory of Stability and Convergence for Spectral Methods.- Analysis of Model Boundary-Value Problems.- Appendices A-E.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540307259 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Since the publication of "Spectral Methods in Fluid Dynamics", spectral methods, particularly in their multidomain version, have become firmly established as a mainstream tool for scientific and engineering computation. While retaining the tight integration between the theoretical and practical aspects of spectral methods that was the hallmark of the earlier book, Canuto et al. now incorporate the many improvements in the algorithms and the theory of spectral methods that have been made since 1988. The initial treatment Fundamentals in Single Domains discusses the fundamentals of the approximation of solutions to ordinary and partial differential equations on single domains by expansions in smooth, global basis functions. The first half of the book provides the algorithmic details of orthogonal expansions, transform methods, spectral discretization of differential equations plus their boundary conditions, and solution of the discretized equations by direct and iterative methods. The second half furnishes a comprehensive discussion of the mathematical theory of spectral methods on single domains, including approximation theory, stability and convergence, and illustrative applications of the theory to model boundary-value problems. Both the algorithmic and theoretical discussions cover spectral methods on tensor-product domains, triangles and tetrahedra. All chapters are enhanced with material on the Galerkin with numerical integration version of spectral methods. The discussion of direct and iterative solution methods is greatly expanded as are the set of numerical examples that illustrate the key properties of the various types of spectral approximations and the solution algorithms. A companion book "Evolution to Complex Geometries and Applications to Fluid Dynamics" contains an extensive survey of the essential algorithmic and theoretical aspects of spectral methods for complex geometries and provides detailed discussions of spectral algorithms for fluid dynamics in simple and complex geometries.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540307259 20160528
- Publication date
- Scientific computation, 1434-8322
- 3540307257 (hd.bd.)
- 9783540307259 (hard cover : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: