Hazardous materials characterization : evaluation methods, procedures, and considerations
- Donald A. Shafer.
- Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley-Interscience, c2006.
- Physical description
- xxvii, 350 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Shafer, Donald A.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Regulatory Control of Dangerous Substances. 2. Principles of Safety. 3. Dangerous Substances. 4. Hazards Characterization And Site Evaluation. 5. Hazardous Materials Emergencies. 6. Corrosive Substances. 7. Ignitable Substances. 8. Human Health Hazards. 9. Biological Hazards. 10. Disaster Site Work. 11. Characterization of CBRNE Terrorist Threats and Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD). Glossary. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471462576 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This title provides detailed, up-to-date coverage of hazardous materials and situations. Lack of awareness about hazardous materials poses a major problem, causing many needless injuries and losses of property. Incomplete awareness presents just as big a problem; often people who have contact with such materials know just enough to feel safe while actually putting themselves and others in great danger. Though regulatory agencies have provided written standards, rarely do these on their own offer the commonsense advice needed to properly evaluate and handle hazardous materials. "Hazardous Materials Characterization: Evaluation Methods, Procedures, and Considerations" provides detailed coverage of hazardous materials and situations. Plain language and a common- sense approach make this an accessible resource for use by all workers who handle and deal with these materials.Written according to the latest regulations and best practices, this guide groups related materials together for quick and easy access (corrosive, ignitable, radioactive, etc.). It also details methods and procedures for evaluating the properties and strengths of questionable materials, as well as what reactive substances and situations to look out for when working with these materials. Other topics covered in this guide include: regulatory review; sampling and monitoring equipment, applications, and procedures; human health hazards; biological hazards; radiation hazards; evaluating chemical and biological terrorist threats; environmental remediation methods; and, references and resources. Packed with the most up-to-date information on hazardous materials and written to maximize accessibility, "Hazardous Materials Characterization" is a vital reference for all those whose work involves hazardous materials.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780471462576 20160528
- Supplemental links
- Publisher description
- Publication date
- 0471462578 (cloth)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: