Amateur press publications, 1890-1932
- Physical description
- .75 linear ft. (1.5 manuscript boxes)
At the library
- Radius, Walter, publisher and collector.
- Organization & arrangement
- Box 1: Amateur press publications.
- Box 2: Amateur press organizations (ephemera).
- The bulk of the collection runs from 1892 to 1904. Most titles are incomplete, with the exception of those created by Radius himself, THE NEWSBOY and THE HIGH SCHOOL TIMES. Only two publications (single issues) are later, THE NATIONAL AMATEUR (1930) and AMATEUR AFFAIRS (1932). The miscellaneous ephemera folder (box 2) includes a mailing list, organization list, and clippings about the death of Alva Porter Moore. The organization folders include announcements, press coverage, meeting notes, etc.
- Moore, Alva Porter.
- Australian Amateur Journalists' Association.
- British Amateur Press Association.
- Golden States Amateur Press Association.
- National Amateur Press Association.
- Pacific Amateur Press Association.
- Amateur journalism > United States > History > 19th century.
- Child printers.
- Printing > California > San Francisco.
- High schools > California > San Francisco.
- San Francisco (Calif.) > History > Periodicals.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Gift of Walter Radius, 2006. Accession 2006-096.
- Walter Radius (senior) was born in California in 1879. He graduated from the South Cosmopolitan School in 1894, and attended Polytechnic High School in San Francisco. He issued THE NEWSBOY from 1892 to 1896, and from 1895 to 1896, THE HIGH SCHOOL TIMES (also under the name of THE ACADEMIC NEWS and THE TIMES). He was active in the amateur press organizations, and collected many of the amateur press publications and ephemera.
- Included Work
- Amateur Affairs.
- The Amateur Bohemian.
- The Banner.
- The Clarion.
- The Concord Fearless
- The Cynic.
- The Golden State.
- The Kangaroo.
- The Monthly Fearless.
- The National Amateur.
- The New Era.
- The Occasional Imprint.
- Ocean Waves.
- Our Natinal Candidate.
- The Sunbeam.
- Texas Amateur.
Browse related items
Start at call number: