The upward flight [sound recording] : the musical world of S. An-sky.
- Yiddish, Russian, English. Sung in Yiddish (with some Hebrew) and Russian (with some Belorussian).
- [Stanford : Stanford University Press ; Kiev : Vernadsky National Library of Ukraine], p2006.
- Physical description
- 1 sound disc : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
- Between two worlds (1:46)
- Yuvoy adir (4:06)
- Hot Hashim yisborekh/Nign (5:59)
- Russian miners' songs. Chto shakhterska zhizn' prokliata (:51) ; Net, rebiatushki, trudnei (2:10) ; Tam proryty iamy, nory (1:57)
- Children's rhymes. A rud in a ran ; Siudy baran ; Eyns, tsvey, dray, fir ; Lokshn Ila zakatila (1:09)
- Di nakht (2:02)
- Baleboste zisinke (3:30)
- Dybbuk Nighn (2:25)
- Russian-Jewish soldiers' songs. Fin der shtib (2:34) ; Veymen veln mir dinen, brider (4:40) ; Ahavo Rabo (1:42) ; Alef-- and odler (:12) ; Der Internatsyonal (2:19) ; Dem barditshever rovs kadish (1:49) ; Ekh zits mir in shenkl (4:20) ; Soroka vorona (:28) ; In ale gasn (3:12) ; Tsu gezunt, tsu lebn (:09) ; Lubavitsher redl/Ne zhurit'sia, khloptsy (5:45)
- Bundist songs. In zaltsikn yam (4:08) ; Di shvue (2:16) ; Rikudl (1:57) ; Mipney ma (4:34).
- Release date
- Production date
- Title variation
- Musical world of S. An-sky
- Songs and melodies written, written about, collected or heard by S. An-sky, including Russian, Yiddish, Hebrew, Aramaic and Jewish Belorussion songs from religious, secular and revolutionary repertoires and the music intended for his play The dybbuk.
- Title also in Yiddish.
- Adaptations and arrangements primarily by Michael Alpert and Stuart Brotman.
- Accompanies the book "The worlds of S. An-sky : a Russian Jewish intellectual at the turn of the century.
- "Sponsored by the Stanford University Taube Center for Jewish Studies."
- Compact disc.
- Yiddish (Roman and Hebrew characters) and Russian (Cyrillic and tranliterated Roman characters) words with English translations inserted in container.
- Featuring Michael Alpert (vocals, percussion, accordion, violin) and Stuart Brotman (cimbalom, baraban) with other musicians.
- Includes archival (wax cylinder), new, and mixed archival/new recordings; archival works originally recorded mostly 1912-1914; new works and mixes recorded 2005.
Browse related items
Start at call number: