The biographical dictionary of Scottish women : from the earliest times to 2004
- editors, Elizabeth Ewan, Sue Innes, Siân Reynolds ; co-ordinating editor, Rose Pipes.
- Edinburgh : Edinburgh University Press, c2006.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 403 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgements-- Advisers to the Project-- Contributors-- Abbreviations-- Readers' Guide-- Introduction-- The Biographical Dictionary of Scottish Women-- Thematic Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This single-volume dictionary presents the lives of individual Scottish women from earliest times to the present. Drawing on new scholarship and a wide network of professional and amateur historians, it will throw light on the experience of women from every class and category in Scotland and among the worldwide Scottish diaspora. The Biographical Dictionary of Scottish Women is written for the general reading public and for students of Scottish history and society. It is scholarly in its approach to evidence and engaging in the manner of its presentation. Each entry seeks to make sense of its subject in narrative terms, telling a story rather than simply offering information. The editors aim to make the book as enjoyable to read as it will be easy and valuable to consult. It will be a unique and important contribution to the history of women and Scotland. The publisher acknowledges support from the Scottish Arts Council and the Scottish Executive Equalities Unit towards the publication of this title. Downloads You can access a full list of women featured in the BDSW here: www.eup.ed.ac.uk/Book Downloads/BDSW1.doc Download a full list of works by women featured in the BDSW here: www. eup.ed.ac.uk/Book Downloads/BDSW2.doc The Dictionary suffered from space constraints and sadly not all women originally considered could be included: for the full, original list, click here: www.eup.ed.ac.uk/Book Downloads/BDSW3.doc.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 0748617132 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: