McDonaldization : the reader
- 2nd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Pine Forge Press, c2006.
- Physical description
- xii, 394 p. ; 23 cm.
- Ritzer, George.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface - George Ritzer McDonaldization: Basics, Studies, Applications and Extensions An Introduction to McDonaldization - George Ritzer Precursors: Bureaucracy and Max Weber's Theory of Rationality, Irrationality and the "Iron Cage" - George Ritzer Islands of the Living Dead: The Social Geography of McDonaldization - George Ritzer On Mass Distribution: A Case Study of Chain Stores in the Restaurant Industry - Joel Nelson A Sociology of Rib Joints - P.D. Holley and D.E. Wright McDonald's as a Disneyized Institution - Alan Bryman Urgent Dreams: Climbing, Rationalization, and Ambivalence - Ian Heywood A Conversation with Eric Schlosser, Author of Fast Food Nation A Conversation with Morgan Spurlock on his documentary "Supersize Me" McDonaldization: The Major Criticisms - Bryan Turner The McDonaldization of Social Structures and Institutions The McDonaldization of America's Police, Courts, and Corrections - Matthew Robinson McDonaldization of the Sex Industries? The Business of Sex - Kathryn Hausbeck and Barbara Brents McDonaldization and the Family - Sara Raley What Do Hamburgers and Drug Care Have in Common: Some Unorthodox Remarks on the McDonaldization and Rationality of Drug Care - Uwe E. Kemmesies McDonaldization, Education, and McMorals - Suzanne Hudd The McDonaldization of the Internet - Alan Neustadtl and Meyer Kestnbaum McJobs: McDonaldization and Its Relationship to the Labor Process - George Ritzer McWork in Europe - Tony Royle Supersizing Farms: The McDonaldization of Agriculture - Andrew J. Knight From Creeds to Burgers - John Drane McCitizens: Risk, Coolness, and Irony in Contemporary Politics - Bryan S. Turner Cathedrals of Consumption: Rationalization, Enchantment, and Disenchantment - George Ritzer McDonaldization and the Global Sports Store: Constructing Consumer Meanings in a Rationalized Society - Steven Miles Credit Cards, Fast-Food Restaurants, and Rationalization - George Ritzer Cross-Cultural Analysis, Social Movements and Social Change Jihad vs. McWorld - Benjamin Barber The McLibel Trial Story - McSpotlight Striking the Golden Arches: French Farmers Protest McD's Globalization - David Morse Slow Food - Mara Miele and Jonathan Murdock The Debate Over the Relationship Between McDonaldization and Globalization Globalization and Culture: Three Paradigms - Jan N. Pieterse McDonaldization and the Global Culture of Consumption - Malcolm Waters Transnationalism, Localization, and Fast Foods in East Asia - James L. Watson The McDonaldization Mosaic: Glocalization and Diversity - Bryan Turner Domesticating the French Fry: McDonald's and Consumerism in Moscow - Melissa L. Caldwell Global Implications of McDonaldization and Disneyization - Alan Bryman Glocommodification: How the Global Consumes the Local - McDonald's in Israel - Uri Ram Globalization and McDonaldization - George Ritzer Globaloney: Unraveling the Myths of Globalization - Michael Veseth Conclusion Some Thoughts on the Future of McDonaldization - George Ritzer Index About the Contributors About the Author.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The Second Edition of this bestselling Reader has been expanded to include interviews with important, recent contributors to the understanding of McDonaldizaton: Morgan Spurlock, Supersize Me and Eric Schlosser Fast Food Nation. McDonaldization retains its wide array of sources, from journal articles to essays, from edited books to newspaper and magazine articles. In this new edition, articles have been edited to limit repetition. Discussion questions and 'thinking critically' sections have been added to aid in reviewing the material presented and further extending the conversation about and surrounding McDonaldization.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
- [edited by] George Ritzer.
- 1412926009 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781412926003 (pbk. : alk. paper)