Atomic and electronic structure of solids
- Efthimios Kaxiras.
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Physical description
- xx, 676 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Engineering Library (Terman)
|QC176 .K38 2003||Unknown|
- Kaxiras, Efthimios.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 660-666) and index.
- Preface-- Acknowledgements-- Part I. Crystalline Solids: 1. Atomic structure of crystals-- 2. The single-particle approximation-- 3. Electrons in crystal potential-- 4. Band structure of crystals-- 5. Applications of band theory-- 6. Lattice vibrations-- 7. Magnetic behaviour of solids-- 8. Superconductivity-- Part II. Defects, Non-Crystalline Solids and Finite Structures: 9. Defects I: point defects-- 10. Defects II: line defects-- 11. Defects III: surfaces and interfaces-- 12. Non-crystalline solids-- 13. Finite structures-- Part III. Appendices: A. Elements of classical electrodynamics-- B. Elements of quantum mechanics-- C. Elements of thermodynamics-- D. Elements of statistical mechanics-- E. Elements of elasticity theory-- F. The Madelung energy-- G. Mathematical tools-- H. Nobel Prize citations-- I. Units and symbols-- References-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521810104 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This text is a modern treatment of the theory of solids. The core of the book deals with the physics of electron and phonon states in crystals and how they determine the structure and properties of the solid. The discussion uses density functional theory as a starting point and covers electronic and optical phenomena, magnetism and superconductivity. There is also an extensive treatment of defects in solids, including point defects, dislocations, surfaces and interfaces. A number of modern topics where the theory of solids applies are also explored, including quasicrystals, amorphous solids, polymers, metal and semiconductor clusters, carbon nanotubes and biological macromolecules. Numerous examples are presented in detail and each chapter is accompanied by problems and suggested further readings. An extensive set of appendices provides all the necessary background for deriving all the results discussed in the main body of the text.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521810104 20160528
- Supplemental links
Table of contents
- Publication date
- 0521523397 (pbk.)
- 9780521523394 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: