Popular music : the key concepts
- Roy Shuker.
- 2nd ed.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2005.
- Physical description
- xvii, 324 p. ; 23 cm.
|ML102 .P66 S58 2005||In-library use|
- Shuker, Roy.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 281-312) and indexes.
- List of Key Concepts Acknowledgements Introduction Key Concepts Bibliography Name Index Subject Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415598668 20160608
- Publisher's Summary
- Key Concepts in Popular Music presents a comprehensive A-Z glossary of the main terms and concepts used in the study of popular music. The book includes definitions of: key musical genres, from bhangra to punk rock musical subcultures, from hippies to Goths methodologies, from Marxism to postmodernism musicological terms, from sound to harmony musical phenomena, from girl groups to concept albums Each entry includes suggestions for further reading and listening and is cross-referenced with related concepts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415284257 20160527
- Presenting a comprehensive A-Z glossary of the main terms and concepts used in the study of popular music, this fully updated second edition covers key new developments in the area, such as the impact of the Internet and Reality TV. Key definitions include: - important musical genres, from bhangra to punk rock - musical subcultures, from hippies to Goths - methodologies, from Marxism to postmodernism - musicological terms, from sound to harmony - musical phenomena, from girl groups to concept albums. All entries are fully cross-referenced and include suggestions for further reading and listening - making this an invaluable resource for anyone studying or interested in popular music.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415347709 20160527
- Now in an updated 3rd edition this popular A-Z student handbook provides a comprehensive survey of key ideas and concepts in popular music culture. With new and expanded entries on genres and sub-genres the text comprehensively examines the social and cultural aspects of popular music, taking into account the digital music revolution and changes in the way that music is manufactured, marketed and delivered. New and updated entries include: social networking peer to peer American Idol video gaming genres and subgenres of blues, jazz, country, and world music music retail formats goth rock and emo electronic dance music. With further reading and listening included throughout, Popular Music Culture: The Key Concepts is an essential reference text for all students studying the social and cultural dimensions of popular music.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415598668 20160608
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
- "First published as Key concepts in popular music, 1998 by Routledge"--T.p. verso.
- 041534770X (hbk.)
- 0415284252 (pbk.)
- 9780415284257 (pbk.)
- 9780415347709 (hbk.)
- 9780415347693 (pbk.)
- 0415347696 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: