Einstein, 1905-2005 : Poincaré Seminar 2005
- Thibault Damour ... [et al.], editors.
- Basel ; Boston : Birkhäuser Verlag, c2006.
- Physical description
- viii, 293 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Progress in mathematical physics v. 47.
- Poincaré Seminar (7th : 2005 : Institut Henri Poincaré)
- Damour, Thibault.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Preface.- A 1905 Article of Albert Einstein.- The Genesis of the Theory of Relativity (O. Darrigol).- Tests of Special Relativity: A Centenary Perspectiv (C.M. Will).- The Geometry of Relativistic Spacetime (J. Bross, U. Moschella).- Experiments with Single Photons (P. Grangier).- Einstein 1905-1955: An Approach through Physics.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The Poincare Seminar is held twice a year at the Institute Henri Poincare in Paris. The goal of this seminar is to provide up-to-date information about general topics of great interest in physics. Both the theoretical and experimental results are covered, with some historical background. Particular care is devoted to the pedagogical nature of the presentation. This volume is devoted to Einstein's 1905 papers and their legacy. After a presentation of Einstein's epistemological approach to physics, and the genesis of special relativity, a centenary perspective is offered. The geometry of relativistic spacetime is explained in detail. Single photon experiments are presented, as a spectacular realization of Einstein's light quanta hypothesis. A previously unpublished lecture by Einstein, which presents an illuminating point of view on statistical physics in 1910, at the dawn of quantum mechanics, is reproduced. The volume ends with an essay on the historical, physical and mathematical aspects of Brownian motion.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Progress in mathematical physics ; v. 47
- 9783764374358 (acid-free paper)
- 3764374357 (acid-free paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: