Supernatural literature of the world : an encyclopedia
- edited by S.T. Joshi and Stefan Dziemianowicz ; foreword by Ramsey Campbell.
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2005.
- Physical description
- 3 v. (xli, 1424 p.) : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Foreword by Ramsey Campbell-- Preface-- Alphabetical List of Entries-- The Encyclopedia-- Notes on Contributors-- Thematic Index of Entries-- Index of Fictional Characters-- Index of Motifs-- General Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313327742 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This book provides entries on authors, works, and a wide range of topics related to supernatural literature from around the world. The literature of the supernatural has had a distinguished history over the past two centuries, and the incorporation of the supernatural in literary works can be traced back as far as classical antiquity. Such prominent writers as Edith Wharton and Henry James made use of the supernatural in their writings, and numerous contemporary writers continue to do so. Supernatural literature is widely enjoyed by school students and general readers, and scholars are devoting more and more attention to it. This encyclopedia provides thorough coverage of the literature of the supernatural. The most exhaustive work of its kind, this reference set covers authors and works from the ancient world to the present. Two of the world's foremost authorities on supernatural literature have coordinated entries by a team of internationally recognized contributors. While other references chiefly offer biographical and critical information, this encyclopedia additionally provides entries on numerous special topics, including: alien abduction; curses; dreams and nightmares; fantasy tales; feminism; the supernatural in different religious traditions; Munsey Magazine; occultism; Southern Gothic; urban legends; voodoo; and werewolves. This is the most exhaustive work of its kind which provides information about major and minor authors and critics of supernatural literature and discusses important works. It covers key topics, including folklore, myths, and literary themes and draws on current scholarship.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313327742 20160528
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
- 0313327742 ((set) : alk. paper)
- 0313327750 ((vol. 1) : alk. paper)
- 0313327769 ((vol. 2) : alk. paper)
- 0313327777 ((vol. 3) : alk. paper)
- 9780313327742 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780313327759 (vol. 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780313327766 (vol. 2 : alk. paper)
- 9780313327773 (vol. 3 : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: