Fundamentals in nuclear physics : from nuclear structure to cosmology
- Jean-Louis Basdevant, James Rich, Michel Spiro.
- New York : Springer, c2005.
- Physical description
- xiii, 515 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -509) and index.
- Introduction.- Basic concepts of Nuclear Physics.- Nuclear Models and Stability of the Nucleus.- Nuclear Reactions.- Nuclear Decays and Fundamental Interactions.- Radioactivity and all that.- Fission.- Fusion.- Nuclear Astrophysics.- Nuclear Cosmology.- Relativistic kinematics.- Accelerators.- Time-dependent perturbation theory.- Nutron transport.- Solutions and Hints for Selected Exercises.- Tables of numerical values.- Table of Nuclei.- References.- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780387016726 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This course on nuclear physics leads the reader to the exploration of the field from nuclei to astrophysical issues. Much nuclear phenomenology can be understood from simple arguments such as those based on the Pauli principle and the Coulomb barrier. This book is concerned with extrapolating from such arguments and illustrating nuclear systematics with experimental data. Starting with the basic concepts in nuclear physics, nuclear models, and reactions, the book covers nuclear decays and the fundamental electro-weak interactions, radioactivity, and nuclear energy. After the discussions of fission and fusion leading into nuclear astrophysics, there is a presentation of the latest ideas about cosmology. As a primer this course will lay the foundations for more specialized subjects.This book emerged from a series of topical courses the authors delivered at the Ecole Polytechnique and will be useful for graduate students and for scientists in a variety of fields.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780387016726 20160528
- Nuclear physics.
- Publication date
- 0387016724 (acid-free paper)
- 9780387016726 (acid-free paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: