The equilibrium theory of inhomogeneous polymers
- Glenn Fredrickson.
- Oxford : Clarendon Press, 2006.
- Physical description
- xiv, 437 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
- International series of monographs on physics (Oxford, England) 134.
Chemistry & ChemEng Library (Swain)
|QD381.9 .M3 F74 2006||Unknown|
- Fredrickson, Glenn Harold.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Introduction-- 2. Ideal Chain Models-- 3. Single Chains in External Fields-- 4. Models of Many-Chain Systems-- 5. Self-Consistent Field Theory-- 6. Beyond Mean-Field Theory-- A. Fourier Series and Transforms-- B. Gaussian Integrals and Probability Theory-- C. Calculus of Functionals-- D. Complex Langevin Theory.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198567295 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The Equilibrium Theory of Inhomogeneous Polymers provides an introduction to the field-theoretic methods and computer simulation techniques that are used in the design of structured polymeric fluids. By such methods, the principles that dictate equilibrium self-assembly in systems ranging from block and graft copolymers, to polyelectrolytes, liquid crystalline polymers, and polymer nanocomposites can be established. Building on an introductory discussion of single-polymer statistical mechanics, the book provides a detailed treatment of analytical and numerical techniques for addressing the conformational properties of polymers subjected to spatially-varying potential fields. This problem is shown to be central to the field-theoretic description of interacting polymeric fluids, and models for a number of important polymer systems are elaborated. Chapter 5 serves to unify and expound the topic of self-consistent field theory, which is a collection of analytical and numerical techniques for obtaining solutions of polymer field theory models in the mean-field approximation.The concluding Chapter 6 provides a discussion of analytical methods for going beyond the mean-field approximation and an introduction to the exciting new field of field-theoretic polymer simulations - the direct numerical simulation of polymer field theory models. No other book brings together in such a detailed and instructive fashion the theoretical and numerical tools for investigating the equilibrium structure and thermodynamics of meso-structured polymer formulations, including those relevant to soft material nanotechnologies, personal care products, and multiphase plastic materials.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198567295 20160528
- Publication date
- International series of monographs on physics ; 134
- "Oxford science publications"--cover.
Browse related items
Start at call number: