Dynamics of spatio-temporal cellular structures : Henri Bénard centenary review
- Innocent Mutabazi, José Eduardo Wesfreid, Etienne Guyon, editors.
- New York : Springer, c2006.
- Physical description
- x, 249 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Springer tracts in modern physics ; 207.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The context of Benard convection and nonlinear science.- Scientific biography of Henri Benard (1874-1939).- Rayleigh-Benard convection, thirty years of experimental, theoretical and modeling work.- Experiments with Rayleigh-Benard convection.- Rayleigh-Benard convection as a model of nonlinear system : a personal view.- Benard convection and geophysical applications.- Benard layers, overstability and waves.- Secondary instabilities in surface-tension - driven Benard-Marangoni convection.- Hydrothermal waves in a disk of fluid.- Wakes Instabilities behind bluff bodies.- Spatial inhomogeneities of hydrodynamic instabilities from Rayleigh-Benard convection to Bernard-von Karman street.- Patterns and Chaotic Dynamics in Faraday Surface Waves.- The Taylor-Couette flow : the hydrodynamic twin of Rayleigh-Benard convection.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780387400983 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The impact of Benard's discovery on 20th century physics is crucial to any modern research area such as fluid dynamics, nonlinear dynamics, and non-equilibrium thermodynamics, just to name a few. This centenary review shows the broad scope and development including modern applications, edited and written by experts in the field.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780387400983 20160528
- Publication date
- Springer tracts in modern physics, 0081-3869 ; v. 207
- 0387400982 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: