Handbook of writing research
- New York : Guilford Press, c2006.
- Physical description
- xi, 468 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- MacArthur, Graham, Fitzgerald - Introduction-- Part I: Theories and Models of Writing-- Nystrand - The Social and Historical Context for Writing Research-- Hayes - New Directions in Writing Theory-- Rijlaarsdam, van den Bergh - Writing Process Theory: A Functional Dynamic Approach-- Prior - A Sociocultural Theory of Writing-- Torrance, Galbraith - The Processing Demands of Writing-- Part II: Writing Development-- Tolchinsky - The Emergence of Writing-- Berninger, Winn - Implications of Advancements in Brain Research and Technology for Writing Development, Writing Instruction, and Educational Evolution-- McCutchen - Cognitive Factors in the Development of Children's Writing-- Donovan, Smolkin - Children's Understanding of Genre and Writing Development-- Hidi, Boscolo - Motivation and Writing-- Pajares, Valiante - Self-Efficacy Beliefs and Motivation in Writing Development-- Shanahan - Relations among Oral Language, Reading, and Writing Development-- Part III: Instructional Models and Approaches-- Graham - Strategy Instruction and the Teaching of Writing: A Meta-Analysis-- Englert, Mariage, Dunsmore - Tenets of Sociocultural Theory in Writing Instruction Research-- Beach, Friedrich - Response to Writing-- Newell - Writing to Learn: How Alternative Theories of School Writing Account for Student Performance-- MacArthur - The Effects of New Technologies on Writing and Writing Processes-- Smith, Cheville, Hillocks Jr. - - I Guess I'd Better Watch My English": Grammars and the Teaching of the English Language Arts-- Pritchard, Honeycutt, - The Process Approach to Writing Instruction: Examining Its Effectiveness-- Part IV: Writing and Special Populations-- Ball - Teaching Writing in Culturally Diverse Classrooms-- Peterson - Influence of Gender on Writing Development-- Troia - Writing Instruction for Students with Learning Disabilities-- Fitzgerald - Multilingual Writing in Preschool through Twelfth Grade: The Last 15 Years-- Part V: Methodology and Analytic Tools-- Schultz - Qualitative Research on Writing-- Abbott, Amtmann, Munson - Statistical Analysis for Field Experiments and Longitudinal Data In Writing Research-- Sanders, Schilperoord - Text Structure as a Window on the Cognition of Writing: How Text Analysis Provides Insights in Writing Products and Writing Processes-- Shermis, Burstein, Leacock - Applications of Computers in Assessment and Analysis of Writing-- Huot, Neal - Writing Assessment: A Technohistory-- Pugh, Frost, Sandak, Gillis, Moore - - Jenner, Mencl - What does Reading have to Tell us about Writing?: Preliminary Questions and Methodological Challenges in Examining the Neurobiological Foundations of Writing and Writing Disabilities.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This authoritative volume synthesizes current knowledge on writing development in children and adolescents and the processes underlying successful learning and teaching. The most comprehensive work of its kind, the volume encompasses both cognitive and sociocultural perspectives. Leading investigators present salient theoretical models; describe cutting-edge research methodologies and analytic tools; summarize available data on the effectiveness of major instructional approaches; and identify key directions for future research. Emphasizing the importance of supporting all students' writing development, the book includes a special section on cultural diversity, gender, special education, and bilingual learners.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
- edited by Charles A. MacArthur, Steve Graham, and Jill Fitzgerald.
- 1593851901 (trade cloth)
- 9781593851903 (trade cloth : acid-free paper)
- 9781593857509 (pbk.)
- 1593857500 (pbk.)